Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!!! Hard drive troubles!

This is going to be hard to explain, but here it goes:

I have a 500GB hard drive that I already have a 200GB and a 50GB partition on. If you look below at the pictures, you will see a 200GB gap and a smaller 50GB gap between my partitions. My MacBook Pro won't let me create a 250GB partition in between these spaces, because of the placement. It won't let because visually the "free space" isn't "together".

Please Help!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 13" mid-2009

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 9:28 AM

3 replies

Dec 21, 2013 9:36 AM in response to GioB50

GioB50,

I don’t see your pictures at the moment, so I’ll be going by your text description.

Inside Disk Utility, can you stretch your 200 GB partition to occupy all of that free space, so that you then have a 450 GB partition and a 50 GB partition?

If so, then select the 450 GB partition and press the “+” button: does it offer to split the 450 GB partition in half? If so, then adjust the size of the second half to be 200 GB, and apply the partition split.

EDIT: I can see your picture now. Stretch your “External HD” partition so that it occupies all of the internal space, and then select it and press the “+” button to split it in half.

HELP!!! Hard drive troubles!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.