Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cheap and good method: converting 2¼/4x5 black & white negatives to positives

This has been covered here but, I wanted to describe my solution.

I have some old large format negatives from 2¼ up to 4 x 5. I don't want to pay to have them scanned or buy a expensive Epson pro scanner or any other kind. (I already have a dedicated scanner for 35mm). I don't even want to spend money on a new copy stand. Although, I am on the look out for a used one.

In a pinch, I needed to make a positive of just one 2¼ negative. For on screen use only.

So I just placed the negative on my flourescent light box (used to look at slides) and took a picture of it with a 55 macro lens (the best for copy work) and a 24 MP DSLR. I used a high shutter speed, 500, to avoid shake. I also shot off a number of frames.

Most the frames were useless because of a color cast, I think caused by the sensor and the flouresenct tubes. But one was fine. I imported it, turned it positive in Curves, used the built in Effects Black and White Blue Filter 100% conversion, cropped it (with 2¼ black frame around it) cleaned up the specks and scratches on it in Aperture (262 strokes in Retouch).

I did full on Devignette and there is still a touch of it but, that's OK. That’s what 2¼ does with flash. Besides using the Curves to invert it, the only other thing that I had to adjust was Highlights and Shadows. Enhance and Exposure had little impact so I kept them off.
Frankly, it is hard to tell the difference between this and the 4000 dpi scans from my expensive 35mm slide scanner!

I'd do a link to the scan here but, it is for a project I can't release yet. But, it would blow your mind. FF 24MP DSLR, macro lens, lightbox, some time in Aperture and you can put some of your large format images up on Flickr or your portfolio for nothing.

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 9:28 AM

4 replies

Dec 21, 2013 11:31 AM in response to Ataraxy01

So I just placed the negative on my flourescent light box (used to look at slides) and took a picture of it with a 55 macro lens (the best for copy work) and a 24 MP DSLR. I used a high shutter speed, 500, to avoid shake. I also shot off a number of frames.

A nice improptu setup 😀

How did you get the alingment right to avoid perspective distortion?

I thought of trying something similar with my iPad in flashlight mode as a light table. It has a nice, even light.

Dec 21, 2013 1:07 PM in response to léonie

I'd say that, if you are worried about perspective distortion, go buy an Epson Perfection 700 and scan large format film that way.

But I am not sure how I would detect perspective distortion. Macro lenses around 50-60 mm are designed to not have much or any of that.

I don't worry about stuff like that… life is to short. Exessive obsession with perfection to extreme with gear is a miserable existance. (However, do good work though…)

The iPad (any size) is a nice idea too! If you own one, cheaper than buyng a light box you might never use. I just happen to have one from film shooting days.

If you have a Nook, Kindle, or larger Android, those might be big enough for 4x5 or 5x7 too!

For those with only an iPhone, iPod, or other smart phone, used or new light boxes are probably pretty cheap now and even a small one can do 4 x 5 with room to spare. Art stores sell them too. My small one is made for tracing. My big light box was originally on the wall for X-Rays in a hospital. I bought it surplus.

Dec 21, 2013 4:05 PM in response to Ataraxy01

But I am not sure how I would detect perspective distortion. Macro lenses around 50-60 mm are designed to not have much or any of that.

I am not concerned about lens artefacts, I meant the perspective shortening and aberrant lines you'll get, if you cannot get the optical axis of the lens exactly perpendicular to your light box. If the camera is slightly tilted, any rectangle in your photo will appear distorted as a trapezoid or similar. I find it a bit difficult to get the direction perfect, if the camera is mounted on a tripod, pointing downward.

Cheap and good method: converting 2¼/4x5 black & white negatives to positives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.