Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'M MAD! Majority of games/apps require 2 GHz Intel Core Duo...D:<

So to start off, I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8

Processor 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

What I want:

😍 To be able to play games/apps

"Why can't you?"

😟 Because they require 2 GHz Intel Core Duo

So my question is:

IS THERE A WAY I CAN UPGRADE TO A 2 GHz INTEL CORE DUO???

😠 ...it makes me frustrated that I have the required OS version yet I still can't play games or use simple apps because of my stupid processor...

What I've already tried (so don't suggest this):

• Wine (so that I can open windows required games)
  • Updating all my software
  • Getting rid of unwanted files
  • Downloading X11 (to run Wine)
  • Watched tons of tutorials on downloading desired games/apps correctly
  • EVEN BUYING A NEW COMPUTER (this one)
  • Repeating the above tactics on my new computer

😢 What. must. I. Do. Please tell me !!

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 9:52 AM

10 replies

Dec 22, 2013 5:35 AM in response to Nana-san

There are games, and then there ARE games.

Many game developers of graphics intensive games write the games for high end hardware. If you want to run THOSE games, you have to dance to the tune of those game developers.

And when you do catch up to those game developers, they will move to even newer more powerful platforms a few months, or if you are lucky a few years after you get capable hardware, making what you have obsolete. This is how the game industry works

Dec 22, 2013 9:14 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I am a gamer, and as one I very much know this. However, it is absurd that I can't play something as simple as elsword or any of those 2011/2012 MMO/RPGs...also, I can't even use the application sketchup to design 3D projects, and that is a problem as a game designer. I can't even download most apps in the App Store that are specifically in the 10.6.8 category .-.

Dec 22, 2013 9:29 AM in response to Nana-san

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) is rather old at the moment. Mavericks 10.9 is the current release.

There is a reasonable chance that the game developers have moved to a newer release of the OS as a dependency.

Or the things you have been trying to do, have upset the environment you had working before.

In any event, you have old hardware running an old operating system. If the game developer tests for a minimum hardware requirement, you need to satisfy that game developer to play their game. Getting Mad in these forums will not get around that limit.

Dec 22, 2013 12:50 PM in response to Nana-san

From the specs you gave, there's a small variety of Macs that fit the CPU and RAM numbers you gave. All were built in 2006, and all have a maximum OS ability of Snow Leopard, 10.6.8. I think it's pretty safe to say a seven year old computer is not going to play the latest games well, or at all.

That it reports the app doesn't work with the current version means it's looking for Lion, 10.7.x at least as the bare minimum. You can't upgrade your Mac to that, so a newer (much newer) Mac is necessary.

Dec 22, 2013 1:26 PM in response to Nana-san

Nana-san wrote:

I am a gamer, and as one I very much know this. However, it is absurd that I can't play something as simple as elsword or any of those 2011/2012 MMO/RPGs...also, I can't even use the application sketchup to design 3D projects, and that is a problem as a game designer. I can't even download most apps in the App Store that are specifically in the 10.6.8 category .-.

Get a PC. They are the best gaming machines on the planet. Macs are not gaming comps.

User uploaded file

I'M MAD! Majority of games/apps require 2 GHz Intel Core Duo...D:<

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.