Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommended external drive for air port extreme?

what are a couple of recommended external hard drives and connection type for use in a home environment with PC, iOS and Mac users?

Looking for centralized storage for typical home stuff - pics, video, music, etc. Got the time capsule on advice from BestBuy, but found out that it wont function as a regular hard drive, only a backup device. But also found that the wifi was drastically improved over what i had before, so i am looking for an external hard drive to pair with the air port extreme. Is there any reason why the AirPort Extreme does not have a Thunderbolt connection? It is my understanding that it is superior to USB.

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 2:06 PM

Got the time capsule on advice from BestBuy, but found out that it wont function as a regular hard drive, only a backup device.

Not sure how you found this out. While the primary and recommended use of the Time Capsule would be for Time Machine backups from your Mac, the drive can be used to store other data.

The problem with storing other data is not putting the data on the Time Capsule. The problem is trying to figure out how to backup that data once it is on the Time Capsule drive.

i am looking for an external hard drive to pair with the air port extreme.

It seems that almost every time that we say that we have used LaCie drives almost exclusively for 4-5 years and they have been flawless during that time......another user will immediately post to trash LaCie.

So, for what it is worth, we have had zero issues using LaCie drives over the past 4-5 years.

Is there any reason why the AirPort Extreme does not have a Thunderbolt connection?

Well, when you consider that the processor in the AirPort Extreme is not even fast enough to keep up with a USB 2.0 drive....much less USB 3.0.....that might explain why it would likely be silly to add a Thunderbolt connector that could not even function at close to USB 2.0 speeds.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2013 2:06 PM in response to iLikeCheesyStuff

Got the time capsule on advice from BestBuy, but found out that it wont function as a regular hard drive, only a backup device.

Not sure how you found this out. While the primary and recommended use of the Time Capsule would be for Time Machine backups from your Mac, the drive can be used to store other data.

The problem with storing other data is not putting the data on the Time Capsule. The problem is trying to figure out how to backup that data once it is on the Time Capsule drive.

i am looking for an external hard drive to pair with the air port extreme.

It seems that almost every time that we say that we have used LaCie drives almost exclusively for 4-5 years and they have been flawless during that time......another user will immediately post to trash LaCie.

So, for what it is worth, we have had zero issues using LaCie drives over the past 4-5 years.

Is there any reason why the AirPort Extreme does not have a Thunderbolt connection?

Well, when you consider that the processor in the AirPort Extreme is not even fast enough to keep up with a USB 2.0 drive....much less USB 3.0.....that might explain why it would likely be silly to add a Thunderbolt connector that could not even function at close to USB 2.0 speeds.

Dec 21, 2013 10:08 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for the response. - i will take a look at that drive

In response to your comments:

I found that out from an Apple rep - they say that because the time capsule is designed as a backup device, 'regular' files are at risk of being overwritten if they are older than the backup files that are regularly overwritten to make space for newer backups.

as for the thunderbolt: ahh, i see.

Dec 21, 2013 11:12 PM in response to iLikeCheesyStuff

they say that because the time capsule is designed as a backup device, 'regular' files are at risk of being overwritten if they are older than the backup files that are regularly overwritten to make space for newer backups

"they" are confusing Time Machine backups with regular data files. Two completely different things.

Time Machine has no idea how long a "regular" data file might have been stored on the drive...and it will always leave those files alone....even when space starts to get tight for Time Machine backups.

So, although I don't recommend it, as long as you have plenty of space on the drive, you will come to no harm if you know what you are doing and you want to store both Time Machine backups and regular files on the Time Capsule drive.

I'm guessing that "they" also did not tell you about the option to install one or more disk images on the Time Capsule drive....which will allow you to fully "reserve" or "isolate" a given amount of space for regular data files.

Disk Images were developed just for this type of purpose, but that might be another discussion. If "they" look puzzled when you ask them about using a disk image, then you need to look for more experienced folks.

Still, the fact remains that for most users, the best and simplest way to handle this is use the Time Capsule only for Time Machine backups....and use another separate drive for other data storage. That is what I recommend for most users.

Sharing the Time Capsule drive for both Time Machine and regular data files is fine....but best left to users who have a good idea of what they are doing.

On a separate note, I see that no one has trashed my LaCie recommendation yet. Stay tuned.

Dec 22, 2013 9:54 AM in response to Bob Timmons

It sounds like you are giving the same advice as the Apple rep -- it is possible to use the device that way, but not the best for basic users. I put myself in that category.

So, after looking at some reviews and such, i ended up getting the WD My Cloud external drive. Did not find any LaCie devices in the store. Hopefully this will work out, but i notice a couple problems already.

- the signup link they send in the introductory email leads you to a site requiring Java, which is not supported on iOS devices without some workaround. The WD My Cloud app from the App Store works and provides access to the drive, but i dont know if there are additional features in the link that i cannot access. and there was no warning or alternative link for iOS users - so maybe that was just confusing and frustrating for no good reason.

- iOS devices do not give you much control over file locations. For example, Pages has no option for opening/saving files from/to the external drive. Have not had time yet to find out if WebDAV is the way to open up this option. Also, music files have similar restrictions on iOS. So far the only thing that worked easily is storing copies of photos on the external HD. So, not so easy so far. Do you have to move everything to a PC or MAC and manage everything from there? Is it any different with the LaCie device?

Recommended external drive for air port extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.