Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore my Admin status for a program in Applications using 10.6.8

How do I restore my Admin status for a program in Applications using 10.6.8?

iMac

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 1:49 PM

7 replies

Dec 21, 2013 2:25 PM in response to Kappy

Well I'm the administrator of this machine, but for some reason in Get Info for a program 'Admin'. appears as the Accts. (2 person icon), myself by my name, and 'everyone' is also listed (read only). Even tho' I have changed 'me' to read and write, and the other two to read only, I need to be the Admin. for the program (doing an update that's not taking properly) but can't figure out how to change things... thank you! Oh, I also did a Repair Disk Permissions earlier.

Dec 21, 2013 2:33 PM in response to Rimalucy

Is this the file that does not have the desired priveleges? I think that's correct. If so, then open Terminal in the Utilitie folder. At the prompt enter:

sudo chown -Rf root:admin [dragged file goes here]

Leave a space after "root:admin" and drag the file you need to change into the Terminal window. Press RETURN. You will be asked to enter your admin password. It will not be echoed to the screen so type carefully. Press RETURN again.

This will change the priveleges of the file to the default for the Applications folder.

Dec 21, 2013 2:51 PM in response to Kappy

I don't know what else you need - I'll help if I know what that is - I'm not a tech wizard and normally don't go into Terminal etc.... The program is called Flame Painter tho' I doubt if that tells you anything... the problem is that the download doesn't give the upgrade, only the orig., but the sellers are saying I should clear some cache, etc. to help but I'm not going to clear any caches to get the mickey mouse upgrade quite honestly... but would like it if possible. Thanks again...

How do I restore my Admin status for a program in Applications using 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.