Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi speed on Mac 10.9 is very slow compared to PC

I have a late 2009 iMac with OSX 10.9 and a Windows laptop with 8.1. They both connect wirelessly to my router, but my Mac is much closer to it and should have a better connection than my laptop which is much further. My speed is generally very slow (2 mbps at best) but my Mac just seems much slower. I noticed this when i downloaded a game from Steam a few days ago. The downloading speed peak was about 700 kb/s, but i am currently downloading the same game for Mac but the speed is only 324 kb/s. I am wondering why this is. It may be because more users use the Mac than the laptop (which only I use). It might be due to the specs:

Laptop: 6GB RAM AMD A8 4500m 1.9 Ghz

Mac: 4GB RAM Intel i3 3.06 Ghz

Could someone clear this up for me and give me a solution?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 2:12 PM

2 replies

Dec 23, 2013 6:54 AM in response to AdreesInator

Hello AdreesInator,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

For more information on this, take a look at:

Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628?viewlocale=nl_nl

Symptom: The Wi-Fi network seems slow

• Streaming movies may skip or pause.
  • iTunes or other downloads may take an unusually long time to complete.
  • Webpages may not load quickly.

Solution

Best of luck,

Mario

Dec 11, 2014 6:51 AM in response to mario49

Isn't that link all in Dutch? Is there an English version of that solution?

I have a similar problem in that I have a MacBook Air (OSX 10.8.5, Safari 6.2|) which has been fine until a couple of weeks ago. I can't link it to anything I have downloaded but recently have been having trouble browsing the internet generally (using wifi) when I have no trouble at all on a PC. In fact I am having to type this on a PC as my mac just can't access the apple support page at all and seems very slow in accessing my Hotmail account compared to the PC. Any idea what is going on?

WiFi speed on Mac 10.9 is very slow compared to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.