Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I migrate user settings and NOT the account?

I am helping a friend who just went through a really ugly divorce. She is migrating her data from laptop to a tower, both running OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Her user account long name on the laptop was her married name.

She wants her account on the tower to be her maiden name. Doesn't ever want to see the married name again, she says.

AFAIK Migration Assistant always uses the long username from the old account for the new account, and that's not going to work here. Yes, we could just change the user account short name, but she would see the long name every time she peeked inside the Users folder. Not acceptable.

So, we created a new account on the tower using just her first name, and have migrated her data and apps over using a combination of manual migration and Migration Assistant.

The question then is how to migrate her user settings to the new account, preferably without doing everything manually.

Is there a graceful way to do this?

To transfer her User/username/Documents, Desktop, and Drop Box contents to the tower, I moved the files to the Shared folder, then mounted the laptop as a drive on the tower using a firewire cable and Target Disk mode. Copied the files over, moved the originals back to where they belonged, and now everything seems to be working fine on both machines.

I am wondering whether I can migrate her user settings by doing something similar with her User/username/Library folder (copying it to a folder the Users/shared folder, rather than moving it), but am afraid this could cause a real mess if I migrate or overwrite the wrong stuff in her new account on the tower.

I did some searching here and elsewhere and was not able to answer this question.

What are your suggestions and recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alfred

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 4:24 PM

There are no replies.

How do I migrate user settings and NOT the account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.