Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferred networks on MBP- now lists networks used by mobile devices?

Not quite sure what is going on here but recently I checked my Advanced settings under wifi on my MBP and to my surprise I found the list to be massive. What is clear is that the list now contains all of the different networks that my iPad and / or iPhone have connected to. Out of the 30 or so 'Preferred Networks' only about 2 have ever had my MBP connected. The MBP has never even been in the countries where some of the networks are. It seems odd because the settings page clearly says 'Remember networks THIS computer has joined' (not networks that every device I own has joined).

Is this something to do with the Safari / shared keychain developments? Or is it a Mavericks / IOS7 'feature' I'm unaware of? I don't recall changing anything that would cause the MBP to pick up all the networks in the memories of my mobile devices. Are there any settings I can / should change to stop the MBP becoming populated with these networks? More importantly, if I delete these networks off the MBP, are they likely to be deleted from the devices that I'd still like to remember them?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 5:10 PM

Are both and or all of your devices synced together through iCloud? If they are that nmight be the cause of what you are seeing.

6 replies

Dec 21, 2013 5:16 PM in response to TechAddict

All devices are synced and using iCloud Keychain. I think that's where the networks have copied across from because when I go to remove them it says they will be deleted from the keychain for all devices. The MBP is listing every network now that my mobile devices have ever connected too. 95% of those are in different countries so it's not an 'in the area of' issue.

Going to have a rummage to see if there are any iCloud Keychain settings anywhere. You'd think theere would be an option that shows the networks that THIS computer has connected to (as the settings screen actually states) and an option to show (or copy across) all the networks that EVERY device you own have ever connected to. They are disticntly different. My MBP have NEVER connected to most of them.

Dec 21, 2013 5:26 PM in response to TechAddict

In all honesty Apple messed up on iCloud from the very start and now can't fix it.

There might be a setting but if iCloud is like everything else Apple has done they don't give the User many setting options. Apple's way or no way.

I personally don't use it as I found it severly lacking in function. You have just pointed out another.

TechAddict wrote:

All devices are synced and using iCloud Keychain. I think that's where the networks have copied across from because when I go to remove them it says they will be deleted from the keychain for all devices. The MBP is listing every network now that my mobile devices have ever connected too. 95% of those are in different countries so it's not an 'in the area of' issue.

Going to have a rummage to see if there are any iCloud Keychain settings anywhere. You'd think theere would be an option that shows the networks that THIS computer has connected to (as the settings screen actually states) and an option to show (or copy across) all the networks that EVERY device you own have ever connected to. They are disticntly different. My MBP have NEVER connected to most of them.

Dec 23, 2013 11:29 PM in response to LowLuster

I'm starting to find the whole Apple thing a bit tiring TBH. Apps getting stuck on updating, necessitating consant force quits of iTunes, IOS 7 glitches and Mavericks changes / issues.

I've already replaced one iPhone with an Android. The second might go the same way, and I'm not sure my iPad will be replaced with another. Everything is starting to become too much effort, not mention how darned difficult it is to share stuff easily and small iPhone screens!

Preferred networks on MBP- now lists networks used by mobile devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.