Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deletion of Masters & Versions in Aperture Question

Hello all,

I have been using Aperture for years and have a question about the deletion of masters and versions of a photo. I typically import a photo, and the oringal master/version (?) without duplicating the original. Thus far, I have been deleting my photos using the keyboard shortcut, command-delete. By doing this, am I deleting the master as well?

I mean to delete the photo and all it's copies/versions. If by doing this, I only deleted the versions of the photos, is there a way I can delete/access all of the masters to delete them?

I would like to save space, and also simply, I don't want them in my library. I have noticed every now and then a photo I deleted appears, for example when moving the mouse over a project and seeing it as a preview, and then it is no where to be found. Also in the past something happened to my library, and as it repaired, all the photos I deleted came back.

Please provide me with an insights, I am new to these forums. Thank you!

Brandon

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 9:26 PM

1 reply

Dec 22, 2013 3:06 AM in response to Brandon7437

Hi Brandon,

have a look at Frank Caggiano's User Tip: Deleting version also deleted the master

It explains what will be happening, when you delete:

File->Delete Version (⌘⌫) is terribly misnamed it should be Delete Version and Possibly Master. While it does delete the version it also deletes the master if this was the only version of that master . What is even worst is that no additional warning is given.

So to remove all versions of a photo plus the original, use "File > Delete original image and all versions". If you only delete versions, the original will be kept, as long as there are other versions. Deleting the last version will delete the original too.

Also in the past something happened to my library, and as it repaired, all the photos I deleted came back.

This can happen, if your Aperture library got corrupted, for example, when Aperture was force quit or crashed while doing a transaction in the internal databases, and the internal databases were left in an inconsistent state. Or because of permission problems, when you moved the Aperture library. Then Aperture may be unable to locate the original file, when you delete the versio,n and it will be left in the Aperture library, but be unaccessible. "Repair database" looks for such orphaned originals and collects them in a "Recoved" project. If you suspect more of them, repairing permissions + repairing the database is a good way to track them down.

for example when moving the mouse over a project and seeing it as a preview, and then it is no where to be found.

You may have accidentally rejected images. make sure all filters are turned off in the search fields. Set the search fields in Browser and Viewer to "Show All". And look into the "Rejected" smart album.

Léonie

Deletion of Masters & Versions in Aperture Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.