Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro have so much lag when navigating files with Finder?

So pretty much every time I try to navigate my files with Finder whenever I'm trying to open up a folder the Finder just freezes and I have to restart the program at least one time sometimes more.

It usually happens when I'm trying to open up a file directory that is currently closed, it seems unable to open it then it freezes. When I force quit the program and restart it and try to open the file in Finder again generally the folder which failed to open and froze the program will be open and I may or may not be able to click the file and actually open it once I'm finally able to navigate there. Sometimes it freezes when I click the file I want to open and sometimes it freezes just by scrolling down the page in the Finder...

This happens in all kinds of programs, even email attachments.

It happens for sure when I

1) Try to attach upload email attachment with gmail google drive.

2) Try to open a new project with Unity 3D.

It happens almost every time and it seems like the last Maverick update did have some patch notes about trying to fix email attachments or something related to gmail or google drive.

So it seems to me like this is a known issue that they have failed to fix? Or am I the only one who is still getting this problem even after upgrading to 10.9.1? It's really unacceptable and it leaves me to beleive either this operating system is horribly buggy or my system is defective?

Anyone know what's going on here or if there are any options I can try to resolve this problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 11:42 PM

1 reply

Dec 22, 2013 4:17 PM in response to Tokadub

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this test is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account. Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault in OS X 10.7 or later, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The "Guest User" login created by "Find My Mac" is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Why does Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro have so much lag when navigating files with Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.