Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Mac Book and I Pad - my Mac is backed up through Carbonite. They do not back up I Pads, but mentioned Sinc and Share, which is free. What is the difference between I Cloud & Sinc and Share for sharing files & backing them up? Thank you!

I have a Mac Book and an I Pad. Per Apple's instruction I recently purchased Lion to give me the necessary space on my Mac to use I Cloud.

Carbonite backs up my Mac, however they do not back up I Pads. Carbonite mentioned that instead, I can get Sinc and Share (for free) to additionally back up the files on my I Pad.

I would very much appreciate understanding the difference between I Cloud and Sinc and Share both to share files as well as back them up.

Thank you!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 11:46 PM

iCloud backs up iOS devices on an all-or-nothing basis - the entire device is backed up, and if you want to restore it you have to restore the entire backup. You can't access parts of the backup and restore only them. iCloud does not provide file sharing, nor indeed general file storage.

You would need to look at Sinc and Share's documentation to find out exactly what it will or won't do by comparison. (Do you mean Sync and Share? - searching on either in Google produces no specific program of that name.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2013 11:46 PM in response to gowiththeflow7

iCloud backs up iOS devices on an all-or-nothing basis - the entire device is backed up, and if you want to restore it you have to restore the entire backup. You can't access parts of the backup and restore only them. iCloud does not provide file sharing, nor indeed general file storage.

You would need to look at Sinc and Share's documentation to find out exactly what it will or won't do by comparison. (Do you mean Sync and Share? - searching on either in Google produces no specific program of that name.)

I have a Mac Book and I Pad - my Mac is backed up through Carbonite. They do not back up I Pads, but mentioned Sinc and Share, which is free. What is the difference between I Cloud & Sinc and Share for sharing files & backing them up? Thank you!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.