Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1 + 1 may not = 2!!

I have a table adds amounts as they are entered to the previous amount (a running total) which apparently when it adds £18.41 + £18.41 +£15.95 + £18.41 gives a running total of £71.17 rather than £71.18.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 6:28 AM

7 replies

Dec 22, 2013 6:42 AM in response to Schrodinger56

I can't reproduce that here:

User uploaded file

However, it sounds as if there is some internal rounding going on that isn't evident from the way your values are displayed on your spreadsheet.

You might try increasing the Decimals to see if there are values in the other decimal places. If there are, you could try =ROUND([your value],2) to see if that eliminates the discrepancy.

SG

Dec 22, 2013 7:13 AM in response to SGIII

You can see where the £18.41 comes from because the 3rd d.p is >5 likewise the £15.95 stays as it is. It just seems an odd way to add numbers where the number of decimal places has been set, it seems to have ignored that request as it were.

Also the formula in the Cost Running Total colmun is =IFERROR(IF(G6+E7>0,G6+E7,""),"") so where would I have to stick the ROUND function in that little lot?

User uploaded file

1 + 1 may not = 2!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.