Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset apple id emails someone trying to hack my account

I am constatnly getting 'reset apple id' emails.

Yesterday I got a notification that someone in Taiwan had downloaded Throne Wars on another device not associated with my account - luckily a free download so I cahsnged my password straight away.

today so far I have had 7 emails about resetting my apple id.

Who do i report it to!? What can be done?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 7:27 AM

113 replies

Dec 22, 2013 2:23 PM in response to tcith

tcith wrote:

They are not phishing e-mails

they are offocial apple ones and the evidence is that the software that they said was downloaded is in my cloud apps

I am just puzzled how they can brute force my password as it is very complex

and I do not use any other device and no I have not jailbroken my device

there is no other place I use my ID

Okay, have it your way. I've given my opinion - you're free to ignore it.

Jun 26, 2017 9:43 AM in response to cazyp

Im up to three now. But the strange thing is: I generate a new random password - maximum length / random characters - and immediately change my security questions.

And still I got within three days an email that they had accessed my apple-id. Looks like whatever I do, they gain access again.

At the moment I don't have an apple-device, so I can't set up 2-step verification. Any tips or tricks out there?

Dec 22, 2013 1:24 PM in response to cazyp

I also rececived exactly the same notification that someone in Tiawan had downloaded Throne wars on another device

And yes it appeared in my cloud apps and I have never downloaded this game,

I have now changed my apple id and password

I am puzzled where they could have picked this could have been hacked as I only use the ID on the device, I do not use PC's to manage or use my apple ID's

Dec 22, 2013 2:04 PM in response to the fiend

They are not phishing e-mails

they are offocial apple ones and the evidence is that the software that they said was downloaded is in my cloud apps

I am just puzzled how they can brute force my password as it is very complex

and I do not use any other device and no I have not jailbroken my device

there is no other place I use my ID

Dec 22, 2013 4:05 PM in response to the fiend

the friend,

the fiend wrote:

Okay, have it your way. I've given my opinion - you're free to ignore it.

not sure what your issue is but I am not ignoring your opinion, I was refuting it as incorrect

These are not phishing e-mails, my account has been accessed, the material (a game) was downloaded by someone who is not me

There are no obstrufacted links in the message, they are all Apple links and the header infromation is accurate for an apple e-mail

So the message telling me that software was downloaded by someone in Taiwan appears to be an accurate true message from Apple

What I cannot figure out is how they accessed my account

Dec 22, 2013 6:40 PM in response to cazyp

cazyp wrote:

I am constatnly getting 'reset apple id' emails.

Yesterday I got a notification that someone in Taiwan had downloaded Throne Wars on another device not associated with my account - luckily a free download so I cahsnged my password straight away.

today so far I have had 7 emails about resetting my apple id.

Who do i report it to!? What can be done?

Thanks

After reseting my id to a different e-mail address the pasword reset e-mails ceased

still think it is odd that you and I around the same time had almost the same thing happen

Dec 22, 2013 10:21 PM in response to cazyp

Hi Cazyp,

I had exactly the same issue. Throne wars was downloaded last night from Taiwan, using my ID. And then I received the same email from the genuine Apple site. I also rang Apple and they backed that up. They had no further suggestions why it happened other than a virus in my computer.

This is strange but a little reassuring that it had happened to others.

Cheers

Dec 22, 2013 11:50 PM in response to Chrisrhea

Chrisrhea wrote:

Hi Cazyp,

I had exactly the same issue. Throne wars was downloaded last night from Taiwan, using my ID. And then I received the same email from the genuine Apple site. I also rang Apple and they backed that up. They had no further suggestions why it happened other than a virus in my computer.

This is strange but a little reassuring that it had happened to others.

Cheers

The virus on the computer does not gel with me, I have never used my ID on anthing other than the device

I do not have itunes installed on any computer

I don't log into apple from anywhere other than my device

I agree it is reassuring it has happened to others but I would feel more comfortable if I knew how they accessed by account/password details

Dec 23, 2013 2:10 AM in response to cazyp

this has happened to me too.

I have just moved house and have no internet and do not have an iphone, my ipads are all wifi, no pc linked to broadband yet - therefore i have had NO WAY of accessing my itunes to download apps.

However, i got a message today saying my account had been used to download Throne Wars? (I never download games) in Canada!!!

I am in the UK.

There is something seriously wrong here Apple and this needs to be looked into.

It's a bit coincidental they are downloading Throne Wars isnt it????

Dec 23, 2013 3:30 AM in response to cazyp

If you are receiving e-mail messages that indicate that someone is trying to reset your Apple ID password, they may be phishing scams. Do not click any links in those e-mail messages, and if you make the mistake of doing so, do not provide your current Apple ID password on the page you are directed to.

Unfortunately, in this case, there's nothing to be done except treat those messages the same way you would any other spam.

The other possibility is that someone is actually trying to reset your Apple ID password. This may be due to a malicious attack, but more likely, it's just someone who thinks your Apple ID is actually theirs (due to a typo, faulty memory or something similar) and is trying to "regain" access. In any case, this is merely an annoyance, but you can put an end to it by enabling two-factor authentication on your Apple ID. This will require an additional piece of information that only you will possess in order to even start the password reset process.

If you are actually seeing your password getting changed, and are having to reset it yourself to regain access, you are being hacked. This could be because your password is not strong enough to withstand a brute-force attack by a botnet. It could also be because the attacker already has access to your e-mail address, and is able to intercept the reset e-mail and complete the reset process. Because of that danger, you should change the password for the e-mail account associated with your Apple ID. You should also change the password for your Apple ID, making sure that it is a strong password, and enable two-factor authentication as mentioned above.

Note that this is definitely not due to any kind of malware on your computer

Dec 23, 2013 3:49 AM in response to thomas_r.

thomas_r. wrote:

If you are receiving e-mail messages that indicate that someone is trying to reset your Apple ID password, they may be phishing scams. Do not click any links in those e-mail messages, and if you make the mistake of doing so, do not provide your current Apple ID password on the page you are directed to.

Unfortunately, in this case, there's nothing to be done except treat those messages the same way you would any other spam.

The other possibility is that someone is actually trying to reset your Apple ID password. This may be due to a malicious attack, but more likely, it's just someone who thinks your Apple ID is actually theirs (due to a typo, faulty memory or something similar) and is trying to "regain" access. In any case, this is merely an annoyance, but you can put an end to it by enabling two-factor authentication on your Apple ID. This will require an additional piece of information that only you will possess in order to even start the password reset process.

If you are actually seeing your password getting changed, and are having to reset it yourself to regain access, you are being hacked. This could be because your password is not strong enough to withstand a brute-force attack by a botnet. It could also be because the attacker already has access to your e-mail address, and is able to intercept the reset e-mail and complete the reset process. Because of that danger, you should change the password for the e-mail account associated with your Apple ID. You should also change the password for your Apple ID, making sure that it is a strong password, and enable two-factor authentication as mentioned above.

Note that this is definitely not due to any kind of malware on your computer

This is NOT a phishing scam - the software has been downloaded on the apple ID account, a level of compromise has happened

This information you have posted is not helpfull in this case as we have already diagnosed other symptoms - next time do not copy paste a standard answer and read the info in the thread

Dec 23, 2013 4:05 AM in response to cazyp

I have now identified a number of other people who all around the same period their account downloaded this game and had the notification sent

The only common thing is that multiple people downloaded the same game from a unknown device in taiwan

two addition examples

There has to be a common denominator

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5689171?answerId=24219234022#24219234022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5688273?answerId=24219233022#24219233022

reset apple id emails someone trying to hack my account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.