Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading my Mac Pro for gaming

Hi all, i am about to recieve my dads old Mac Pro. (he spent $11k on a new one so lucky me get's a freeby)

It's a 2008 3,1 with 3.0ghz processor, 16 g of ram and the radeon graphics card.

I want to modernise this machine, and update it to make it the best gaming machine i can for as little cost as possible.
my hope is to get an ultimate gaming machine built for around $2k

Here are my thoughts after a little research, and in the order i intend to purchase:

The ddr2 ram can't be upgraded and 16gb is probably enough so i'll leave that.

The processor is decent so leave that.

The video card will be changed to a Nvidia GTX 780 modified by mac vid cards to allow boot up screen, $800

A OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCI Express SSD 240GB card will be installed, $430

A CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 2 Port USB 3.0 & eSATA 6Gb/s Host Adapter will be installed for some 3.0 USB ports, $135

And finnaly mid next year i will buy a Dell 4K Ultra HD 27" screen for a reported >$1000

Total: $2365.

windows will be on the accelsior hard drive with my favorite game "skyrim" moded to take advantage of all the graphics bling.

Does this seem the best option?

Are there more options availabe that i am over looking?

Have i made an error in the ammount of slots available to install the above upgrades?

And finnaly is there any way i can install a thunderport so i can use newer mac hardware?

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 8:15 AM

And finnaly is there any way i can install a thunderport so i can use newer mac hardware?

To use ThunderBolt peripherals, a computer must have come from the factory with ThunderBolt capability installed. The 65lb Mac Pro towers are not memebers of that club.

15 replies

Dec 22, 2013 9:44 AM in response to LowLuster

1 i only own macs

2 thinking like that is why mac is such a nieche market, if you can upgrade a mac for similar if not same cost as a pc then your better off. we should encourage mac modification.

3 wether its pc or mac, i'd still want the $1000 screen, the graphics card ($100 cheaper for a pc) and a flash drive hard drive.

so how in the **** do i get a mother board, a shell, ram, a super drive, and a regular harddrive for less important data all for $235.

yes you can make a gaming pc for $700 that runs well, but either way if you want top end graphics with decent framerate you need to spend money.

and considering i have a computer that cost close to $10,000 when new for free i dont think i should throw it away like you suggest especialy since even today it is faster then the average pc for sale.

Dec 22, 2013 9:54 AM in response to Hakon007

No the cost of a Mac Pro makes it a niche product, market item.

Problem comes with actually doing Mac upgrades. Limited on older Mac Pro's and Non existant on all new 2013 MPs and Mac notebooks.

Best of luck to you and happy gaming.

Hakon007 wrote:

2 thinking like that is why mac is such a nieche market, if you can upgrade a mac for similar if not same cost as a pc then your better off. we should encourage mac modification.

Dec 22, 2013 10:25 AM in response to Hakon007

wow the language restrictions are so tight on this forum, how come the opposite of heaven is taken as a swear word? thats just bizaare

i agree start up costs don't help

however i found your reponse earlier to be in poor taste merely because it didnt help answer my question and was irrelevant as the costs to buy pc parts or mac parts are virtually identical.

you are correct that my options using the 2008 mac pro are limited, however i think what is more relevant a responce is could the upgrades i have chosen last 5 years.

longevity is really the only factor in cost calculations.

i can't see the 8 core 3 ghz processor becoming obsolete within that time frame, its still far superior in what it has when compared to a laptop.

If you believe there are aspects of a 2008 mac pro that are going to cause serious problems when it comes to keeping up to high end games, then please let me know what you believe to be the week link in the chain.

(facoring in the mods i have chosen of course)

Dec 22, 2013 10:40 AM in response to Hakon007

Only that tests have shown that the 2008, while it does have two PCIe 2.0 16x lanes, does not do well with modern GPUs as later Mac Pro. You can find a 2010 or later from Apple Store Specials $2100, or 2009 model for $900 range.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

http://www.barefeats.com has these benchtests

July 25th, 2013 -- Inject New Life in your Old Mac Pro with a Fire Breathing GPU

July 12th, 2013 -- Two and Three GPUs rendering Multi-GPU Aware Pro Apps (After Effects, OctaneRender, LuxMark, DaVinci Resolve) -- includes GeForce GTX 770s.

May 30th, 2013 -- Tandem GPUs = Faster Pro App Rendering. (Features Octane and After Effects rendering with dual GPUs; added DaVinci Resolve on June 5th.)

May 10th, 2013 -- Do the newest GPUs run faster on the 2010 Mac Prothan on the 2009 and 2008 Mac Pro?

April 26th, 2013 -- PART THREE: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Editionversus the 'Sharks' (insane GPUs like the GeForce GTX 580 Classified and GTX 690)

April 18th, 2013 -- PART TWO: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 "Mac Edition"Versus Past and Present Mac GPUs running Pro Apps

April 16th, 2013 -- PART ONE: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 "Mac Edition"versus Past and Present Mac GPUs running OpenGL accelerated Games and Benchmarks

April 5th, 2013 (Appended) -- SHOOTOUT WITH THE 'SHARKS': Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 for Mac versus "big fish" GPUs (Added full results for the Quadro K5000 and a flashed Radeon HD 7970.)

March 22nd, 2013 -- PART DEUX:Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 versus other Mac Pro GPUs (running StarCraft, Diablo, Team Fortress, FCPX, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and LuxMark)

March 19th, 2013 -- REVIEW: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 versus other Mac Pro GPUs (running DaVinci Resolve, Motion, OceanWave, Heaven 4, Valley, Civilization, and Dirt)

March 12th, 2013 -- The Current State of Mac Pro GPUs -- before the next "shoe" drops -- new benchmarks compare the current 'crop'

Dec 22, 2013 9:32 PM in response to Hakon007

Hakon007 wrote:

that spending $2k to upgrade an 08 model will out peferm a $2k purchased 2010 model.

Actually, no. The 2010 models are significantly more powerful, have much faster RAM and faster PCIe interface.

You could sell your current MP for $900 and have $3000 budget for a much better computer. If you're focus is entirely on gaming, you'd be far better off to build a PC since server-grade parts are not needed and nearly all games are windows-based.

$3000 would build a PC that can wipe the floor with ANY MacPro in games because you would have much newer technology (even the very last MacPro sold uses 3 year old tech).

Dec 23, 2013 3:28 AM in response to Hakon007

Well what games are you going to play? Most are for Windows and only a few run on OS X. So no matter what name in on the outside of the box you'll more than likely need to install a version of Windows.

You do realize that Apple and every other computer maker in the world use the same exact hardware.

Hakon007 wrote:

as i have said any advice on building a pc for gaming is useless in this thread.

this is purely how to get the best bang for buck gaming platform that is mac based.

i will auto dismiss any solution that involves buying a pc.

Dec 23, 2013 6:26 AM in response to Hakon007

The 2008s are buggy and do not handle new GPUs that well, have both PCIe 1.1 and 2.0 slots.

so no matter how much $$ you throw at it, a 2009 would fare far better.

To me, seems like PC gamers have tended to use multiple GPUs in SLI/CF to get max settings, run on 3 screens for surround experience. Things you can't do easily if at all on a Mac.

Even iMac 2012 might do better, again Apple Store Specials has good buys there. One with GTX 6xxM or above.

Dec 23, 2013 9:35 AM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

Even iMac 2012 might do better, again Apple Store Specials has good buys there. One with GTX 6xxM or above.

Thats exactly the route I took. The 680MX may be a "mobile" GPU but it walks all over my modified 1,1 with a 5770 in every category. My other choice would have been a 6-core 5,1 but people are demanding ridiculous prices for the 3 year old computer, even more than Apple lists for refurbished units with a warranty.

The 780 may list better than the 680MX on benchmarks: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

but you will be severely limited by the 800mhz ram, poor PCI-e support and the fact you'll have a flashed PC card with no OSX drivers.

Dec 26, 2013 5:07 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

Two common upgrades (if you are handy) are installing two four-cores in the 1,1 and updating its firmware

More cores is a waste, few programs and games can use more than 4 cores. Upgrading to 5160's gave a tangible boost to every task for under $30. The next best bang/$ were the 5770 and SSD.

The biggest benefit to the 6-core 5,1 over the 4 and 8 core 4/5,1 is the faster RAM.

But again, with the high $ people are demanding for 5,1 and $600+ for a W3680 to upgrade a 4,1, the value is lost. A top-end 2012/2013 iMac with fusion drive or 256 SSD and an applecare warranty can be had for $1000 less and be more powerful in everything except the most demanding multi-core applications.

Although, if Apple hadn't been fixed on wasting money for dual-GPU's, I would have considered a new MacPro instead.

Upgrading my Mac Pro for gaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.