Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Mountain Leon compatibility. I have since free programmers have returned X a server 2008 like mine compatible. Possible that Apple is not able to supply a useful refresh?

OS Mountain Leon compatibility. I have since free programmers have returned X a server 2008 like mine compatible. Possible that Apple is not able to supply a useful refresh?

Xserve, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 11:10 AM

2 replies

Dec 31, 2013 1:46 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

This makes no sense. What are you asking?

I think he is asking if Apple will make an updated XServe model and if not why.

The answer (as you Keppy will know) is that Apple never sold enough of the old model to justify the cost of designing and manufacturing it. While a significant number of people would still like one, with Server.app being severly dumbed down larger organisations have already had to move to alternate server platforms both for better functionality and almost as a side-effect they get the ability to run their servers on proper rackmounted equipment made by alternate manufacturers.

I personally think there would be a way for Apple to get back in to the server game without having to spend a lot of money designing their own hardware. (I have a lot of ideas for Apple in this area and would love to work at Apple pushing them through, one of these ideas is that they don't seem to have anyone representing the business segment at a senior level who could promote such ideas.) I think what Apple have forgotten to some extent is that one of the reasons for originally doing their own server hardware was that other server platforms historically have treated Mac clients as second class citizens - this is still somewhat true although Apple have done a lot of work at their end to make the Mac be a good client to for example Windows servers. For example it now supports DFS and SMB2 as standard. One example however where non-Mac servers are not as good for Macs is Spotlight searching on a server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.