Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MBP Fan Noise and Heat Concern

I have a 13 in. MBP with the i5 processor and it seems that everytime I start up: netflix, watch youtube, browse a certain website (soundcloud), or run any of my CS5 programs, the fans rpms shoot up, it heats up and I can even hear the CPU working like crazy. I'm wondering if these are common symptoms or indicative of a faulty processor or of poor internal cooling (ie. the heat sink or fans). I also have reason to believe that this issue has caused my battery cycles to prematurally increase past 1000 since I got this machine in the summer of 2011. Does anybody have any advice on what steps I should take to resolve this issue without breaking the bank if it is not a faulty processor?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 12:01 PM

Stop using Chrome and it's associated software. It is running your CPU usage way up.

Heat will not cause battey cycles to increase, but programs that are using too many CPU cycles like Chrome is will certainly run down the battery quickly - heat or no heat.

You can't hear a CPU working.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2013 12:01 PM in response to gnuman05

Stop using Chrome and it's associated software. It is running your CPU usage way up.

Heat will not cause battey cycles to increase, but programs that are using too many CPU cycles like Chrome is will certainly run down the battery quickly - heat or no heat.

You can't hear a CPU working.

Dec 22, 2013 12:40 PM in response to gnuman05

Safari would be my suggestion.

If you hear the HDD making noise, then it could mean that you are running too many concurrent applications for the amount of memory installed forcing the use of virtual RAM - the HDD - making the drive thrash, causes more heat from the drive, and makes the computer slow down quite a bit.

2011 MBP Fan Noise and Heat Concern

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.