Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G5 not showing boot manager or open firmware

I recently got a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz (7,3) from a friend of mine, and I would like to dual-boot it between Tiger (or Leopard) and Debian PPC. However, every time I try to bring up the boot menu (hold ALT/option at boot before chime) there is simply a black screen. Same happens when I try to boot to Open Firmware (hold CMD-ALT-O-F); just a blank screen. When I try to boot from the Debian CD, it's almost as though it is ignored, as I am put straight to OS X, but I can boot from the Panther/Tiger DVDs. I have tried resetting the PRAM, the SMU via the button on the board, and I left it unplugged overnight, to no avail. Can anyone help?

PowerMac G5 7,3 Dual 2.5GHz-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 1:20 PM

29 replies

Dec 23, 2013 5:21 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

If you hold t key only at bootup, do you get a big floating Firewire symbol?

Strangely, it doesn't show on the screen. However, when I plug it into another mac, the disks mount, as though it is in target disk mode...

BDAqua wrote:

Hmmmm, have you replaced the PRAM Battery, that can cause strange startup problem!?

No, I have not, but I will check the Voltage (no lower than 3V right?)

EDIT: I checked the battery, and the voltage was 1.9V, so I'll try to get another one from somewhere.

Message was edited by: TheMacMini09

Dec 25, 2013 11:27 AM in response to TheMacMini09

It's acting like there is a firmware password in some respects. It should be asking for your firmware password when a firmware password was configured but it doesn't seem to be. I've never used a firmware password, so I have no direct experince with it.

1) Might try the hardware reset. I'd try this first. You will have to search around to find where the hardware reset button is on your machine. BDAQUA help?

2) Might try the procedure to delete firmware password. I'd try it. Don't think it can hurt!

Maybe your are getting the firmware password? Do you see this image?

User uploaded file

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57521667-263/use-the-calculator-to-reveal-a -macs-firmware-password/

Remove one memory stick. Then do as BD suggests.

BDAqua reminds me:
Then, the PRAM must be reset 3 times. (Command + Option + p + r).
http://www.securemac.com/openfirmwarepasswordprotection.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------

You machine does boot to one partition always. Could install a linux boot manager in that partition. Yaboot on a ppc

The mac startup manager is installed in firmware cannot touch it. Linux boot manager is install on hd.

Dec 26, 2013 5:13 AM in response to BDAqua

It's definetly NOT a firmware password. I have already tried all of the methods of resetting it (removing and adding RAM, resetting it in OS X, etc.) and there is definetly not one there. I have also done an SMU reset (press the button on the motherboard). And no, I'm not getting that image. It seems very strange, because another one that I have laying around works perfectly fine...

PowerMac G5 not showing boot manager or open firmware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.