Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer NTFS files to HFS+ hard drive?

I have multiple large video files on NTFS formatted harddrive so read only. I have time capsule backup, and two external hard

drives (1) older WD TB NTFS with 500 GB of video files almost all larger than 4 GB. Have new Seagate 3 TB hard drive. I want to have

both external hard drives formatted HFS+. Set up Seagate with 1.5 TB HFS+ and 1.5 TB FAT 32 with idea to copy over all the

video from NTFS to the FAT 32, then copy them over to HFS+, downsize the 1.5 FAT 32 to zero, and then reformat the WD to HFS+

and viola, all would be in HFS+ and life would be good. Did not know about the 4 GB transfer file limit in FAT 32. Have spent a great deal

of time reading about solutions but everything seems to be built around making NTFS read and write but I want to get everything into

HFS+. I have looked at software solutions (Paragon) for example but it does not seem to be set up to a simply one-way transfer of files from

NTFS to HFS+. I also explored idea of cutting up video files some of which are quite large due to original film but that is both very cumbersome

and also worries me about trying to pull everything back together after transfer.

System Macbook Pro 2011, 8GB---thanks in advance for any suggestions and sorry for such a long posting.

Sandy

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 2:55 PM

4 replies

Dec 22, 2013 7:58 PM in response to sandyfromwindsor mill

I didn't spend hours looking, but video pros on Adobe's forums can't really think of a use for the small index or .scn files. A .avi file is the combined video and audio. It will play on its own.

To test, copy any .avi file from the NTFS drive to an HFS+ drive and double click to play it. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

How to transfer NTFS files to HFS+ hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.