Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How/why is my iPhone being repeatedly hacked

I don't usually post on this sort of thing but this has been annoying me for quite some time now.

I have read countless posts about 'how the iphone cannot be hacked unless the hacker physically possess the phone' but I tend to believe that isnt true after my phone appleid account was hacked ....7 or 8 times? I've actually lost count now.

Over the last 5 months I repeatedly got those 'How to reset your apple ID password' emails which hinted someone was punching in my username and clicking the 'I forgot password' button. But a few times now amongst the many, many "I forgot" emails there is one in the list of unread emails saying 'Your Apple ID password has been reset.' 😮

Its pretty odd cause whoever is hacking me has nothing I can think of to gain - no credit card details and once they hack into my account, I answer security quetions and gain the account back into my own hands (albeit with a new password. I'm starting to run out of password ideas now as you can't use the same one or even similar again).

All the hackings are happening (from the time I get the emails) I'm guessing somewhere in the northern hemisphere due to the fact it always happens about 2-3am local time for me.

Is there anything more I can do to stop this ****wit hacking into my account? I seriously thought this idiot would have given up by now.

And for anyone thinking it - no he's not guessing my passwords. I've had so many different ones now with uppercase and numbers there's no way anyone could guess them all (or any for that matter!!).

Any help would be appreciated!! 😕 😟

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 3:21 PM

11 replies

Dec 22, 2013 3:32 PM in response to markbar888

Markbar,

I can totally appreciate how frustrated you must be feeling about this type of scenario when you have obviously been told multiple times how this type of thing generally does NOT happen with Apple id logins.

I have to agree with Chris when you are referencing this going on with an Apple Mobile device.

However, IF you are using a Windows Computer AND IF you have had a trojan/virus/spyware type of attack on your Windows computer OS I CAN see this happening as when this type of attack to a non apple operating system can leave your computer system vulnerable. My best advice to you would be to check in to having your operating system that is running a windows operating system to be scanned for infection to see if this may not be where the attack origin is occurring.

Good luck.

Dec 22, 2013 4:49 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Thanks for the responses. Really appreciate it! It would seem the likely cause is my desktop computer which runs windows - however I do have quite good anti-everything on it but might have to investigate more.

I forgot to mention - I'm generally not as clueless as to click on a scam email. Even though the ones I'm getting are I'm 99% sure legit from apple. Either way after my password has been reset (which I know is legit because the actual 'sign in to your Apple ID' box pops up on my ipad and iphone) I go to the apple website externally to change the pw again.

However I am clueless as to know what two factor authentication is. Could someone explains this please?

Thanks again.

Dec 22, 2013 5:00 PM in response to markbar888

Here's Apple's explanation: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5570

Basically, when you sign in to your Apple ID Apple sends a code via iMessage or SMS to your phone or other device that you must enter before the password is accepted. If you don't enter one or enter the wrong one the login fails. After you enable it you no longer need to remember security questions, either.

The downside to two factor authentication is that Apple support is no longer able to reset your password. In other words, you take full responsibility for managing your account and access.

A lot of other businesses are now offering two factor authentication, including Google and most large banks.

Dec 23, 2013 4:08 AM in response to markbar888

If you are receiving e-mail messages that indicate that someone is trying to reset your Apple ID password, they may be phishing scams. Do not click any links in those e-mail messages, and if you make the mistake of doing so, do not provide your current Apple ID password on the page you are directed to.

Unfortunately, in this case, there's nothing to be done except treat those messages the same way you would any other spam.

The other possibility is that someone is actually trying to reset your Apple ID password. This may be due to a malicious attack, but more likely, it's just someone who thinks your Apple ID is actually theirs (due to a typo, faulty memory or something similar) and is trying to "regain" access. In any case, this is merely an annoyance, but you can put an end to it by enabling two-factor authentication on your Apple ID. This will require an additional piece of information that only you will possess in order to even start the password reset process.

If you are actually seeing your password getting changed, and are having to reset it yourself to regain access, you are being hacked. This could be because your password is not strong enough to withstand a brute-force attack by a botnet. It could also be because the attacker already has access to your e-mail address, and is able to intercept the reset e-mail and complete the reset process. Because of that danger, you should change the password for the e-mail account associated with your Apple ID. You should also change the password for your Apple ID, making sure that it is a strong password, and enable two-factor authentication as mentioned above.

How/why is my iPhone being repeatedly hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.