12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2013 1:20 PM by RalphyS
RalphyS Level 1 Level 1

I've been running my Final Cut Pro version 6.06 on my Mac 0S X (v. 10.7.5) for years without an incident. This is the only machine it's installed on. I left a project open overnight, and when I came to it this morning there was an error: This application cannot continue because another application with an identical serial number is already running on another computer on your network.

The project then closes and everytime I try to reopen, the same error appears. If anyone can help fast I would appreciate it.

Again, this is the only computer running Final Cut Pro under my serial number, so I'm truly baffled as to why this problem came out of the blue. Restarting the computer's not helping. The only way I can use Final Cut right now is by disconnecting to the Internet.

Powermac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • Michael Grenadier Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Try unplugging Ethernet cable or turning off your airport

• RalphyS Level 1 Level 1

Thank you for replying, as I said this does work, but then reconnecting the Internet brings back this same weird problem.

Due to the nature of my projects, it's MUCH more convienent to have Internet access while editing, so I'm really depserate for an answer here

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

sorry, I missed that.  How is your computer connected to the interent?  Do you use a router and are there other computers connected to that router? 

Have you tried to reset your fcp preferences?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2491

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Also, if there are other computers on your local network, try shutting them down, one by one and see if that makes a difference.  If you find that one computer is causing this problem, make sure fcp is NOT installed on that computer.

• Studio X Level 7 Level 7

Keep in mind that using ANY of the apps within the FCP suite on another machine at the same time as runnning FCP will trigger the warning/shutdown - with the execption of running Qmaster/Compressor.

x

I tried the preference manager (thank you, good program to have) but in this case it didn't do the trick.

I'm on a desktop PowerMac connected to a router via Ethernet. Every other device is connected via wifi, including my iPhone, iPad, my wife's laptop, her iPhone, and her iPad. None of these other devices have anything related to Final Cut installed on them, which is why this is so baffling. Plus this problem literally came out of nowhere.

I'll still try disconnected each device one at a time...

I am confirming that no other devices are running programs related to FC.

This is the only machine it's installed on, and certainly the only one using the serial number.

Any ideas?

If you have an open wireless network, is it possible a neighbor has a pirated copy of FCS and is running it while connected to your network?

x

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

good idea, Studio.

To the original poster, just want to confirm, did you disconnect all other devices from the router via ethernet or wifi and still get the same message?  Can you turn off the wifi on the router and just leave the ethernet active and see if the problem still persists?

Closed network w/password

For desperation I popped in the Linksys E2000 setup disc to completely re-install wirless, but that now gives me the message "Unsupported operating system" and "The router works with these operating systems" which includes Mac OS X 10.6.1 or later. Which is interesting because I'm on 10.7.5. So I can't even really fiddle with my wireless now either. Not my day.

Have you tried running Digital Rebellion's Preference Manager?

It's free and is a go to app for solving quircky FCP problems.

Best,

x

Yes I did, no luck