Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mackbook Pro retina 13" 2013 8GB RAM or 16GB RAM? i5 or i7 intel processor?

I have been looking at Macbook Pro's for awhile now and I still can't decide what to get. I can say that I'm pretty much set on this Macbook but not the upgrades.

8GB RAM or 16GB RAM and which processor? I have done research and read other discussions about similar topics but I still cannot make a final decision.

I will be using it for school work, mainly writing essays or making powerpoint presentations, and also other things like: Using the Internet, watching videos online, and others stuff. I also plan on buying the Apple USB SuperDrive to watching DVD's and/or download some of these movies onto the Macbook. I will also be using some sort of external drive to hold most of this movies to save space on the macbook, but my main concern is picture quality and computer speed

I will most likely have this macbook pro for the next 5-6 years before I think of buying another so long-term upgrades are necessary since I cannot upgrade this after purchase.

Lastly, I have done research and I have also visiting an Apple store to try this macbook out but from your experience how much better is the picture quality on a retina compared to just a normal macbook pro? Is it a very noticeable and pleasing difference?

ALSO: I hoping to keep the price as low as possible to suit my needs, so both the 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7 processor AND the 16GB will make it too expensive BUT if its truly worth it I will consider it.

Sorry that this is so long, this is my first post so I'm not really sure if I did this correctly. Thanks for any help

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 5:31 PM

5 replies

Dec 22, 2013 7:04 PM in response to Matt Fett

My thoughts... the rMBP are not upgradeabel aftermarket in terms of RAM/HD therefore that is where I would focus my extra costs. For the work you list I do not see you getting a price/peformance increase by bumping up the processor.

If it were me...

#1 RAM - spend as much here as you can

With USB and Thunderbolt ports you can always hook up/expand storage.

Before my 13.3 rMBP I had a 11.6 MBA with only 64 GB HD BUT an extra 2 GB RAM from base model - this made a world of difference. I used it for work (HealthCare IT) - and had no issues. I had one work app that was not Mac comaptible so I ran WinXP in VirtualBox - giving that 2 GB of the RAM and @ 15 GB of the HD. I could run everything on the Mac I needed to and at the same time run the virtual machine for the one work application.

The 13.3 rMBP is a much more powerful machine - you will have no issues.

Dec 22, 2013 7:16 PM in response to MacRN

Thanks, this helped a lot and my last 3 questions are:

1.) Is 16GB RAM worth the $200, is it that much better than 8GB. If so please explain, this will be my first Macbook so I have no idea how it works.

2.) With the retina display will the DVD's I watch look a lot or somewhat better than normal display. Also, on my desktop, when watching certain movies or videos in FULL SCREEN it becomes very blurry and in a normal sized screen it is also usually blurry but not as bad. Would this be a problem with this display? Or can it sometimes be the video quality itself?

3.) Is the "burn-in" or "ghost" issue resolved in the retina display macbook pro's?

Thanks in advance for any tips/help!

Dec 22, 2013 7:23 PM in response to Matt Fett

1. For what you list as activities on the device I would say 8 would be plenty.

2. Have not tried watching DVDs - I would expect with a decent DVD/Superdrive hooked up via USB or Thunderbolt (and a quality cable) you should have a crisp picture/display even in FULL screen.

3. Have not had mine long enough to detect any.

Mackbook Pro retina 13" 2013 8GB RAM or 16GB RAM? i5 or i7 intel processor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.