Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Q abt. "Server Side File Tracking for Mobile Home Sync"

I am following the steps "To optimize the file server for mobile accounts" which are listed on page 157 in Mac OS X Server v10.6 - User Management :

1. In Server Admin, click the disclosure triangle for the server hosting network home folders for mobile accounts.
  2. If Firewall isn’t listed, select the server, click Settings, click Services, select Firewall, and then click Save.
  3. Select Firewall, click Settings, and then click Services.
  4. Choose the address range for your users’ computers from the “Edit Services for” pop-up menu.
  5. Select “Allow only traffic from ‘ipaddress’ to any of these ports,” select the Allow checkbox for Mobile Account Sync (port 2336), and then click Save.
  6. Select the server, click Settings, and then click General.
  7. Select “Server Side File Tracking for Mobile Home Sync” and then click Save.

My questions is:

In step 2, I added "Firewall" to the services. I continued with the following steps, but nowhere does it say to press the button "Start Firewall", so as of right now Firewall is listed, but not activated - it's gray and not green. Should I turn on the Firewall Service? In my setup, a cable modem/router is acting Firewall between WAN and LAN (small private home network).

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 8:25 PM

3 replies

Jan 3, 2014 1:54 AM in response to seethelight

I can't get Server Side File Tracking to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's what I've done:

1. Followed the instructions in "Mac OS X Server v10.6 - User Management" as per the first post in this thread.

2. Tried turning on the Firewall Service - resulting in clients unable to log in to their network accounts.

3. In Server Admin, under Firewall>Settings>Services, with 192.168-net selected in the pop-up menu entitled "Editing services for", I then chose "Allow all traffic" (instead of "Allow only traffic to these ports:") as my router acts as a Firewall in my setup. Now users can log in to their network accounts again, but Server Side File Tracking is still not working. How do I know it is not working?

According to infinite vortex in this other thread, the syncing window is supposed to only show this:

User uploaded file

On my clients, you can see it scan through the home directory before the file copying/syncing actually starts.

Q abt. "Server Side File Tracking for Mobile Home Sync"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.