Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many devices can access Airport Express

I have an 2nd Gen Airport Express. It is hooked to our cable modem. It appears that when we try to have two laptops, an xBox, and 3 iPhones it will only connect to one computer and two phones. Is there a limit to the number of devices that can receive a wireless signal simultaniously? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 8:09 PM

Assuming that the 2nd Gen AirPort Express has been configured correctly, and it is operating correctly, it will support up to fifty (50) wireless connections and additionally 150+ wired devices.

9 replies

Dec 23, 2013 8:25 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Thanks. Lack of wireless connections is obviously not my problem then. I reset to factory levels and I am brining one device on at a time. I will see if there is a particular one that starts to cause issues or if a certain number of clients starts to cause issues. An error message I got at one point said there were not enough IP addresses. Not sure who issues the IP address. The internet provider or the wireless router? Anyway, I will continue to work this. Thanks for your reply.

Dec 23, 2013 8:51 AM in response to Bradley Taylor1

Not sure who issues the IP address.

That would be the AirPort Express if you have it configured to act as a router on the network.

However, if you happen to have the AirPort Express configured to operate in Bridge Mode, then your modem/router would be controlling IP address allocation for the number of devices that could connect to the network.

ISPs commonly limit this to 4 or 5 devices.

We need to check some settings in AirPort Utility on your Mac to see how you have things configured.

Are you still using OS X (10.6.7) as you indicate in your profile?

Dec 23, 2013 9:15 AM in response to Bob Timmons

The Airport express is configured to act as the router on our network.

I have MB on 10.6.7; a MBPro on 10.6.7; a MBPro on 10.8.5 and 3 iPhones on 7.0.4.

Let me know what settings you wanted me to check. I enjoy learning more about the hardware I am using so I would stil like to verify.

FYI, since I did the reset the AirPort Express to factory settings and set up a new wireless network, it seems to be working correctly now. I was able to bring all three laptops and the 3 phones on to the network at the same time with out issue. I will continue to monitor it throughout the day.

I need to update my profile

Dec 23, 2013 9:28 AM in response to Bradley Taylor1

Using the MBP running 10.8.5......

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Express icon, then click Edit in the small window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the window

If the AirPort Express is acting as the router for your network, the setting for Router Mode will be DHCP and NAT.

If another device is acting as the router for the network, the setting for Router Mode will be Off (Bridge Mode).

User uploaded file

Dec 23, 2013 9:52 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Looks like it is set up correct. I have not connected the auxilary network cable from the back of the AirPort Express to the XBox unit yet. I would not think that should make a difference but that is the only difference between now and how I had it set up before when I was experiencing issues.

I noticed you have "Enable Access Control" checked. My is not. What does this enable?

My screen shot:

User uploaded file

Dec 23, 2013 10:16 AM in response to Bradley Taylor1

I have not connected the auxilary network cable from the back of the AirPort Express to the XBox unit yet. I would not think that should make a difference but that is the only difference between now and how I had it set up before when I was experiencing issues.

The Xbox may have been hogging the available bandwidth on your network, which would not allow additional devices to connect to the network. Unfortunately, Apple routers have no settings to control the amount of bandwith that is allocated to each device.

If you hook up the Xbox and find that some devices will now not connect to the network, that would explain the issue that you first reported.

Timed Access is whole other discussion, so you'll need to start another post if you are curious about that.

As far as screenshots are concerned.....

Hold down command-shift-4

position the cursor at the upper left of the area that you want to capture

Click and drag diagonally down to the right

When you release the button on the mouse, the shot is taken

My shots appear as a PDF file on desktop

To insert a screenshot in a post, click the camera icon and navigate to the location where the PDF is located, select it and click Choose, then click Insert

How many devices can access Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.