Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will US iPhone 5s support China Mobile's 4G (LTE) network?

I know that previously China Mobile's 3G network was not supported by iPhone 5s, either from the US or those sold by other Chinese networks like Unicom and Telecom. So, I'm wondering if an iPhone 5s from the US, assume unlocked, will support the new China Mobile 4G network or if the situation is the same at 3G.

I ask because apple products are about 20% more expensive in China and because I'd prefer not to be tied to a contract.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

iPhone 5s

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 12:14 AM

3 replies

Dec 23, 2013 12:53 AM in response to Dylan Makana

Most people think that they will be paying less if they get an iPhone from the US, but it is not always the case and by the time you have paid local taxes for a full price phone, plus sales taxes and import duties, you may find that you have not saved any money at all and you would be better off buying the phone in China.

The US iPhone was designed to work with the US LTE/4G networks, so there is a good chance that it will not work with 4G in China. You may find that you can only use the phone with 3G in China, so then you will have wasted your money buying a 4G phone that you will never be able to use on 4G unless you go to the US.

There is also the warranty issue don't forget and iPhone warranty if not international so if anything goes wrong with your phone, you will have to go back to the US to get it fixed, because nobody in China will touch it.

Bottom Line: You probably will not save as much money as you think you will by buying a phone in the US and if you want a phone that you can use with the Chinese 4G networks, then BUY IT IN CHINA!!

Mar 22, 2014 2:50 AM in response to Dylan Makana

I know this is a bit late. This is for future people. As of now. I have the Iphone 5S model 1533. Brought from the apple store in San fransico. Will not be supported by China Mobile. The model they do support is iphone 5S model 1530(it is mark on the back of the phone). Which is sold ine Mainland China and Hong Kong. China Mobile told me that China Unicon does support the U.S iphone 5S but they are not GSM.

Will US iPhone 5s support China Mobile's 4G (LTE) network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.