Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iMac location

Hello Apple users, sadly my iMac has been stolen, I therefore paste the question I previously typed at the from front page of Apple discussions…

If I had set a lock on my stolen iMac from Find My iPhone and the thief has had it online and the lock has been set, can Apple tell me or the police the location of where the iMac was when the lock occurred? Thanks in advance…

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), SSD Drve, 16GB Ram

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 10:39 PM

7 replies

Dec 22, 2013 10:42 PM in response to sirstaunch

Once you lock your iMac, it cannot be connected to the Internet because it only shows a screen with a textbox to type the passcode you set. This means that your computer cannot be tracked, so it is impossible that Apple nor the police can locate it.

However, Apple (or maybe you) can access to the last place where your Mac was located through Find my iPhone

Dec 22, 2013 11:35 PM in response to mende1

And you too

I had a discussion with a support member in the iCloud section and basically came down to what I knew and what You said about not after it being locked but said to get the police to contact them and they will pass all information they have. Didn't specify if they have an IP of the last location, but hopefully some good will come put of that. Also Apple emailed the chat transcript to me which I fwd to the investigation officer I'm dealing with.

I'll leave this topic open for now for anymore details I may add or anyone else who could of been or going through the same ordeal if that's ok.

Thanks.

Stolen iMac location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.