Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks 1.0 (or later) for Mac OS X 10.5.8 (iBook g4 ppc)

I have an old iBook G4 (12 inches) running mac os x 10.5.8; and I wanna read some e-books from my iTunes library, someone can help me?

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iBook G4 12"

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 2:21 AM

4 replies

Dec 23, 2013 1:54 PM in response to Chikip

Did you acquire the iTunes library content through use of an intel-based Mac running OS X 10.6.x or later? If so they probably won't work. But I could be wrong. At least you don't want a Yes or No answer...

The iTunes player in a PPC G4 iBook computer may not be new enough for ibook branded e-books from the iTunes Store online library source directly; those acquired by an intel-mac with later OS X probably won't work.

There are limits on what G4/G5 computers that run in Leopard 10.5.8, and there are minimum system requirements in effect over the Apps store, that say you can't even get content from there unless you have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed, so that means an 'intel-architecture' later model Mac that isn't a PowerPC.

A few other readers may still be available, but other branded ones won't generally work with others ebooks.

There are Support pages directly about iTunes questions, specifications, and answers; in addition, the iBooks discussions area may (or not) give additional exposure to this iBooks 1.0 question. The hardware and software of an iBook G4 portable with 10.5.8 Leopard installed is rather obsolete in the ibook apps era.

Are any of your ebooks from 3 to 5 years ago? With an obsolete setup, even that could be a stretch. And then there was a 'kindle reader' for older OS X versions on PPC hardware. Perhaps someone clever has some unorthodox ideas on making the ebooks speak from the depths of modern obsoletism or in holiday tongues.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jan 5, 2014 5:16 PM in response to Chikip

While 10.5.8 could connect to the original iOSes that the iPad and other iDevices that supports the iBook eBook format, the iBook eBook fromat could not be read directly on Macs until Mac OS X 10.9. So while you'd be able to use the iBook to sync a backup of your downloaded eBooks, only the iPod Touch, iPad, or iPhone will be able to read it if it had an iBook App and was syncing with it. Read this tip about newer iOSes and 10.5.8. Non-DRMed iBook formats may be able to be converted to a format 10.5.8 PowerPC can understand, but the DRMed books can not.

Jun 13, 2014 6:53 PM in response to Chikip

Calibre is your friend for reading epubs, mobi, et al on your PowerPC - go to http://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx and get the old version linked further down the page (0.7.28). It creates a library, has a free reader, and is seriously cool (and I'm typing this on my iBook G4 🙂).

However... If you have purchased your books from the iTunes store, then DRM is going to be a problem - and it's why I don't purchase books from iTunes. There are several ebook stores that offer non-DRM material, and Amazon Kindle at least offers a cloud reader that can be used on TenFourFox on the G4 and probably G3 as well - I shall dig out my ancient iBook and check, just for fun! But to the best of my knowledge, Apple doesn't offer any services like that.

DRM is just dead annoying. And a turn off for consumers! Books are friends you want to revisit, not be turned away at the door because your hardware suddenly isn't good enough...

Jun 13, 2014 7:13 PM in response to Dicere

Forgot to add, calibre also creates a web catalogue, so you can use that to pop books onto your ipad or iphone, if you'd prefer to read on those devices (hugs her iPad Air). Or, a very basic option is just email the epub to yourself and open it from Mail on your iDevice - just select "Open with iBooks". But that might be too manual...

(Sigh.) I'm an entirely apple ecosystem, run Windows and Ubuntu on virtual machines only, but forced obsolecense is a sad thing. There is no visible reason that PowerPC couldn't continue to sync with iDevices, and having to make work arounds just makes me cling to my G4 that much harder. Offer an iTunes for PPC for $20, I'd buy it. Just a simplified version that allows the purchase and transfer of music, books and apps and does a backup of an iDevice. No bells and whistles. If iTunes is kept up to date for Windows users, why not a recomplile for PPC?

I know it isn't going to happen, I know that the language has changed, I know PPC is regarded as obselete - but my iBook keeps going with not a single hitch, and my 2011 mini frequently falls over (and my 2006 macbook is shoved into a cupboard with a video cable problem). And nothing the new laptops have makes me excited enough to want to give my old friend up...

iBooks 1.0 (or later) for Mac OS X 10.5.8 (iBook g4 ppc)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.