Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing Up and Restoring an IOS7 iPad to IOS6 iPad

My mother had an IOS6 iPad which was accidently updated to IOS7 by a family member and my mother can no longer use it due to the new layout. My wife still has IOS6 on her iPad so has agreed to swap with my mother. If I back up my mothers data from the IOS7 iPad using iCloud and then reinstall it to my wife's IOS6 iPad will it also wipe out IOS6 and replace it with IOS7?

Thanks

Paul

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 6

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 4:32 AM

You can not restore a backup from a newer version of iOS to an older version of iOS.

Does she have a backup from before the update that you can use?

5 replies

Dec 23, 2013 4:38 AM in response to PaulHastings1066

If you use iTunes to restore an iPad currently under an older iOS version and the iPad is qualified to run the newest available iOS version, the iPad will be updated to the *newest iOS version*.

However, if your reset the iPad on the iPad itself (under Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings), it will remain at it's currently installed iOS version.

Backing Up and Restoring an IOS7 iPad to IOS6 iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.