Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple lossless

I've just converted my music files to apple lossless using iTunes because my ipod is almost full and i want to save some space. The only downside is that the apple lossless file are WAY bigger then the old ones (mp3 i believe). I found out that the old ones have a max kbps of 320 while apple lossless has 320 to 1000+.

How can i change the apple lossless kbps so that the files are actually smaller then the old ones?

ty 🙂

iPod touch (4th generation)

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 4:26 AM

4 replies

Dec 23, 2013 6:39 AM in response to Bijt-ijs

I've just converted my music files to apple lossless using iTunes because.....

i want to save some space. The only downside is that the apple lossless file are WAY bigger then the old ones (mp3 i believe).

Well that didn't work out too well, did it?

How can i change the apple lossless kbps so that the files are actually smaller then the old ones?

Converting to Apple Lossless will not save space.

Instead, make use of the feature to create smaller files only for iPod use. The feature can be set as shown below.

User uploaded file

Dec 23, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Bijt-ijs

Bijt-ijs wrote:

But doesn't that make my songs sound like they are coming out of of 1950's radio? 😝

No it does not. If you want to hear what it will sound like, convert a few example files to AAC/128 or AAC/192 and play them through your speakers.

If you really want to go for the 1950s radio sound, convert to MP3 at 32 kbps.🙂

Dec 23, 2013 10:01 AM in response to Bijt-ijs

If your files were in mp3 and you converted them to Apple Lossless all you will have done is made them bigger with no gain in quality. Do you still have the originals? If so you should restore them. Downsampling to the device may lose a little quality, but it may not be that noticeable. It certainly won't be as bad as 50s AM radio unless you really squeeze the bitrate.

tt2

Apple lossless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.