Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone help me please. What could make a program Icon disappear from the dock and replaced with a ?

Can anyone help me please. What could make a program Icon disappear from the dock and replaced with a ?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 6:33 AM

6 replies

Dec 23, 2013 7:03 AM in response to Tjduhon

Tjduhon,

That is strange - I've a Canon printer (two actually) and when I restart or quit the printer queue, I don't get a question mark - just as if I quit an application that I didn't have in the Dock. Try actually removing the question marked icon from the Dock by using a right (control) click and selecting "Remove from Dock."

Good luck,

Clinton

Dec 23, 2013 7:13 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I will try it while i minimize this window . . . That did it. the ? is gone... but that doesn't explain the program I have that disappeared a couple of days ago. It is called Final Draft it is a program to write screen plays with and I use it all the time and one day I turned on the computer and there was a ? and when I put the cursor over the question mark it would show Final Draft just as if the icon was still there but no matter what I did I could not get it to open so I had to reload the program from the Disk. Luckly I had saved all of my work in other folders so all was not lost but it was strange. But now all is clear I put the cursor on the ? mark and clicked on remove from Dock and it disappeared. Thanks again I guess I need to wait and see if another real program like Final Draft disappears then get on here again. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.