Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New versions of apps are available, but app store says no updates

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help. I'm running a late 2008 aluminum Macbook. It's running 10.9.1 Mavericks with 4 GB of RAM and runs just fine. My problems are with app updates.

Specifically, when I launch Keynote, Pages, Numbers, etc., they all say that a new version is available and it gives me the option to update. However, when I click to update, the app store opens and shows no updates available. Sure enough, when I navigate to specific apps, the versions shown are indeed newer versions than what I'm currently running, yet there is no option to install them, as the button just shows as "installed."

Any idea why the updates are not showing up? Also, why are newer versions on the store not giving me the option to download them, and just showing as already installed?

I've tried restarting to possibly clear out RAM, refreshing the app store page to the current version, etc., but nothing seems to solve it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Loren

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 6:24 AM

4 replies

Dec 23, 2013 10:38 PM in response to pianotech

While there probably are newer versions of the software titles you cite, and the updates page will have bits to bring the newer versions up-to-date, the ones in your computer may well be of an older version and if so, the way to update them is to buy the more recent versions since they would be retail purchases.

This, if those title versions are not directly compatible with Mavericks, or were not included with 10.9.x, and would have updates available if you had the latest retail version...? What applications are new and included with Mavericks? In the past they were not included.

Perhaps ask Apple Sales Support (number in web page) about how to get those later versions of software that appear to not be for sale on the App store. Could be they are rather large files, depending on local internet limit or subscribed ISP plan. There may also be other contact information in the Apple Store page or main Apple site that would clarify the situation with more detailed answers to your concerns.

You may not have to give your Mac a tuneup after all,

if its their site or something not available right now.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Dec 23, 2013 11:23 PM in response to pianotech

PS:

Did you get the most recent Pages version from here? $19.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pages/id409201541?mt=12&ls=1

Numbers? $19.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/numbers/id409203825?mt=12&ls=1

iPhoto? $14.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iphoto/id408981381?mt=12

And etc...

see Apps/Pro Apps in header

http://www.apple.com/mac/

(of course within the iTunes Store the apps may link different)

Maybe reset SMC, NVRAM, or shake a dash of salt on its tail.

None of my antiques can go to the iTunes 'apps store' now.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Dec 24, 2013 3:33 AM in response to K Shaffer

Hi and thanks for the suggestions! It's strange, but even when I tried from the web links that don't open the app store, I don't have an option to install (or buy) the new versions. Everything shows up as "installed." It's frustrating, because it doesn't appear I have a way to get new versions of any of this software!

An exception is iPhoto. That shows up at the app store as a $14.99 upgrade. I don't care if I have to pay for the updates from an older version; I'd just like to be able to update!

I'll keep at it. In the meantime, thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it!

-L

Dec 24, 2013 6:34 AM in response to K Shaffer

Well, I solved the problem, though I have to admit I feel pretty silly.

Turns out those apps DID update. But, instead of updating the original apps, what it did was install new versions of them. So, both the old and new versions were existing side by side on my computer. Clicking the original icons in the dock kept bringing up the old versions.

So I had these new versions all along, just didn't know about it. I never expected entire new programs to be installed instead of updating the new ones.

So thanks for your help...problem solved!

New versions of apps are available, but app store says no updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.