Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QT10.3 Interrupted Video Playback Not The Files.

Running QT 10.3 On OSX 10.9 on 15" MBP Mid '10.

Torrented several .m4v files (Seasons of NCIS) from TPB, all from the same user over a period of weeks. The first two downloads were fine, once I got the third, QT started acting up.

Video stops, audio continues for a second, then stops, while playback bar continues to rise. Pause, allow it to catch up (image will change), then press play, it will give another second of sound with stopped video. Pause it a second time, and once caught up, 5 minutes of uninterupted playback. This happens every 5 minutes, on every file I have played, whether associated with TPB or not. They all do it. Not a file problem, because most havent done it until this most recent download. I've tried the other NCIS files, the Supernatural, IT EVEN DOES IT TO ADVENTURE TIME! All the files were fine before.

I have over 200GB free on the HD, they are all stored locally, until I watch them and move them elsewhere, so it's not a bandwidth issue.

May not be QT specific, but posting here because I feel I'll get less PC Neckbeard Superiority than on the VLC forums. Oh yeah, the files do exactly the same thing in VLC too.

Sometimes, after I've had QT running for a while, Safari will act up too. When changing between tabs, it will stop, and it will update if I wait. It seems like the computer itself is freezing sometimes because I can't click anything but the mouse movement is unaffected.

From the few searches I have done, most people havent provided enough information for me to be sure, but Perian has been mentioned a couple of times. However that shouldn't affect VLC.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 7:02 AM

4 replies

Dec 23, 2013 9:21 AM in response to CammyJB

Ugh. TPB is a public tracker and files there can be notoriously corrupt. I'd imagine that you got some gremlin in your system and it is biting you.

You've got neckbeards on the VLC forums and here, never fail, you'll have the NetKKKops howling that you shouldn't be torrenting pirated content (In AppleWorld, we *never* ever, ever, do anything naughty okay?) in the first place.

Regardless.

Something's gotten into your system and causing it to freeze.

You need to familiarize yourself with the Activity Monitor. It is in the Applications/Utilities folder, launch it and have the Activity window set to see all the system processes and sort the colums so that the usage one which shows your CPU is set so it sorts by highest percentage. That is most likely to show you what is hanging. Then you open your browser or video and place the windows so you can watch.. and run until you catch the issue.

Once you've got that, get back with a report, we can go from there.

Dec 23, 2013 11:44 PM in response to Deborah Terreson

%CPU column in Activity Monitor hovers around 15-20% in total. The idle CPU thing down the bottom with the red and blue CPU usage/time graph never goes under 90%. I feel like that shouldnt be doing that.

When the symptoms occur in QT, or anything else for that matter, the %CPU column gets boosted to around 40% in total, but the CPU usage/time graph reduces to 100% idle.

The processes present during normal operation that make up the bulk of the processing are WindowServer and kernel_task, and neither regularly goes over 10%.

When the symptoms occur, a process called VTDecoderXPCService appears and goes to 15%, while kernel_task goes to near 20%. However, the CPU usage/time graph doesnt spike, it falls to nothing.

Image taken just before a sypmtomatic event.

IUser uploaded file

QT10.3 Interrupted Video Playback Not The Files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.