Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure mac to run a game

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro, and I recently purchased Dungeon Defenders on the steam sale. I looked at the requirements and I thought I had them all:

• Processor: 1.3 GHz Intel CPU
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Hard Disk Space: 3 GB
  • Video Card: Open GL 2.1 / Shader Model 3 capable graphics card with 256 MB video RAM

The only piece I wasn't sure about was the graphics card, my macbook has the intel hd 3000 384MB. I have four GB RAM but usually 2 or less are available. The only problems in game are the loading screens and menus. They just seem to be a little laggy and the voice of the narrator comes through staticy. I didn't notice anything while playing besides that but I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to fix it. If you have any suggestions feel free to tell me. I plan on buying 4 more GB RAM but probably after Christmas.

Thanks,

John

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 8:48 AM

6 replies

Dec 28, 2013 2:39 PM in response to Eden Seeker

John,

OpenGL is a specification which defines a standard set of functions to communicate with GPUs, so that different hardware, different operating systems, and different computer languages can all use the same set of functions to program GPUs — this makes it possible for software developers to write a single software package to have a GPU do a particular task, no matter the GPU manufacturer, the OS vendor, and so on. Each version of OpenGL has a version number associated with it, with the version number increasing over time; thus, for example, OpenGL 3.2 is a more recent version of the OpenGL specification than is OpenGL 2.1. In general, newer versions have backward compatibility with older versions, so a requirement of a software package for OpenGL 2.1 would be met by an OS that supports OpenGL 3.2. However, sometimes features of an older version of a specification are no longer supported by a newer version; those older unsupported features would be referred to as being deprecated. There have been OpenGL features marked as deprecated since OpenGL 3.0; if Dungeon Defenders depends upon such deprecated features, then parts of that game might not work properly under Lion. However, the problems that you’d described sound as though they would be solved with more RAM.

How to configure mac to run a game

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.