Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting msg You need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet. but in ap store says already installed

Suddenly today I cant open my numbers documents. I get msg You need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet. But when I go to ap store it shows latest numbers ap already installed. I am thinking is related to getting new iPad mini and using the documents on it. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 9:09 AM

3 replies

Dec 23, 2013 9:11 AM in response to Sandisandi

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

You have opened the old version by mistake. This is a common problem in users who have upgraded to OS X Mavericks.

To fix this, open a Finder window, select Applications in the sidebar and drag the new Numbers version to the Dock, so you can access to it quickly. Then, open the new version and open the document inside the app, so you will not get that error message.

The easiest solution would be to remove the old Numbers version from your MacBook Pro, but some users have complained about the lack of features of the new version, so it is better to leave it

May 3, 2015 7:02 PM in response to mende1

I'd like to reopen discussion on this topic. I am having this problem with Pages, only, it's just one of my documents, and it's happening on my PC while logged into the iCloud online, as well as my iPad.

The message I am receiving on my PC is slightly different. It says "We've updated Pages for iCloud! There are great new features. We'll reload the app so you can check them out." Then it attempts to reload the document, and spits out the exact same message ad infinitum. On the iPad, it does what this orginal post says. Tries to tell me to update the software, but then doesn't offer any new version of Pages, just tells me to open the app, and of course, I get the same message. Another infinite loop.

I also tried to send a copy, download a copy, duplicate it...everything I could think of to save the document, but they all failed. It's as if the document is locked away and there's no way to bring it back from the crypt. If there is some backdoor way to retrieve it, that's most likely the only way, unless some update is actually in the works, and I've only got to download it, but it appears this is not the case.

Thanks for your attention, hope there's a solution.

getting msg You need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet. but in ap store says already installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.