Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set VPN server with static IP without DHCP on

I set up a new Mac mini server with OS X 10.9.1 and Server App 3.0.1

My ISP gave me a static bublic IP address.

I have on:

- web server

- mail server

- DNS server

without using DHCP, but now i want to set up L2TP/IPSec VPN server and it requires that i give start IP address of the VPN server.

Can i use VPN server w/out DHCP server on?

If yes, how?

If not, when i turn on the DHCP server, what i have to do with web, mail servers?

Mac mini server-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 11:11 AM

9 replies

Dec 23, 2013 1:43 PM in response to jorost

To run a public VPN server, you need to do the following:

1. Give the gateway either a static external address or a dynamic DNS name. The latter must be a DNS record on a public DNS registrar, not on the server itself. Also in the latter case, you must run a background process to keep the DNS record up to date when your IP address changes.

2. Give the VPN server a static address on the local network, and a hostname that is not in the top-level domain "local" (which is reserved for Bonjour.)

3. Forward external UDP ports 500, 1701, and 4500 (for L2TP) and TCP port 1723 (for PPTP) to the corresponding ports on the VPN server.

If your router is an Apple device, select the Network tab in AirPort Utility and click Network Options. In the sheet that opens, check the box marked

Allow incoming IPSec authentication

if it's not already checked, and save the change.

With a third-party router, there may be a similar setting.

4. Configure any firewall in use to pass this traffic.

Dec 23, 2013 1:49 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have everything you've mentioned.I thing you didn't read with atention my question!

i read an article an i set VLAN in order to run the VPN.

I 've managed to run the VPN server.Using IceFloor firewall GUI i've managed to forward WLAN internet trafic to VLAN.

Now i have VPN server working, but unfortunately i can't access the MYSQL server on 10.0.0.1:3306

I can only using 127.0.0.1:3306

I don;t know wheter all services running at both localhost and 10.0.0.1 ?

Dec 23, 2013 5:17 PM in response to jorost

I have public IP mapped to private IP at the gateway firewall; different IP addresses are mapped to the same or to different internal (NAT'd) IP addresses. This is based on the capabilities of the gateway firewall. Not all can remap multiple addresses.

DHCP is running on the internal network.

The VLAN is a network switch-level construct, and handy for partitioning internal traffic for various reasons including security and load. You might have a DMZ VLAN, for instance.

If the host you're terminating your VPN on is at the internal address 10.0.0.1, then it's common to use 127.0.0.1 (IP for localhost; self) to address it. There are various cases where you can't refer to the local host by its canonical IP address as a NIC inherently can't chat with itself on an Ethernet network.

FWIW and for smaller networks, I also usually prefer to terminate the VPN connections at the gateway firewall, as it avoids running the VPN through NAT. That also avoids dependencies on an internal host; you're much closer to "being" another host on the internal network.

Jun 16, 2014 12:48 AM in response to jorost

You need a Static IP address if you are the center of internet activity. Thinking of hosting a gaming server or a website? A Static IP is your ticket to a smooth session.

Advanced internet users will agree with me when I say that it can be hard to do anything of this mangnitude with a normal (shared) IP address. But that doesn’t mean you need to give up on your internet freedom and online security. Modern VPN services are now equipped to provide users with Static IP addresses.

If you are a new/experienced VPN user and looking for a static IP address but do not want to let go of the online freedom that a VPN provides, then you can always use one of the few leading VPN service providers who offer Static IP addresses. Here are some of the top VPN services for static ip

Jun 16, 2014 10:23 AM in response to AmmarNaeem

AmmarNaeem wrote:

You need a Static IP address if you are the center of internet activity.

Per the original posting in this thread...

jorost wrote:

My ISP gave me a static bublic IP address.

...a static IP address is available, so there's little need here to route network traffic through a third-party cloud-based VPN service.

I'm somewhat surprised that security and freedom are cited in conjunction with a cloud-based VPN service, as cloud-based VPN services are almost inherently vulnerable to a party that might choose to eavesdrop on the traffic traversing the cloud-based servers — that traffic can be in cleartext while it traverses the VPN server, too. This in addition to the obvious risks that arise when the cloud-based VPN server can identify the connection source via its IP address. (If a user really needs security or privacy, then Tor and a VPN client booted from an trusted distribution such as Tails would be a typical recommendation.)

In the case of the original posting and the question here, the user can configure VPN clients and VPN into the local network via a VPN server in the firewall (as available), or into the VPN server present in OS X Server — this using the static IP address that's available to this user.

How to set VPN server with static IP without DHCP on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.