Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to only show old iOS versions in App Store?

Hello.

I have an old used and unwanted 16 GB iPod Touch (v3.1.3 (7E18) and model MA627LL from 2008). After resetting it to its clean state that took about two/2 hours, I noticed many free Apps were unsupported due to old iOS version according to its App Store. Is there a way to filter to show only the supported ones for this old iPod Touch? I couldn't find a way to do it in both iTunes (Windows XP Pro. SP3) and iPod Touch. 😟

Thank you in advance. 🙂

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 7:08 PM

7 replies

Oct 12, 2017 4:55 PM in response to antdude

Unfortunately, iTunes doesn't have support for that feature. I wish it did.

However, Find Old Apps for iOS [ http://findoldapps.com/ ] lets you search the App Store for older apps by country; filter by iOS version, device type, or category; and search by a free-form text field. You can also sort by rating, app name, category, year it was last updated, and price.

Note: I am not affiliated with that Web site nor its author, but I spent far too long searching the Internet before I found his site once again after months of forgetting its name and Web address and yearning to find it. I'm going to make sure others and myself don't have to search nearly as much in the future by posting a link to it and a description here.

Dec 24, 2013 5:59 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:

No but you can

To more easily find compatible apps:

iOSSearch - search the iTunes store for compatible apps.

Apple Club - filter apps by iOS version.

Hmm, iOSSearch's Google search results don't seem to be working/accurate like with Flickr's app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flickr/id328407587

Apple Club's Google search results showed better results, but https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bmx-street-stunt/id590986625?mt=8 shows "Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPod touch (5th generation)." ... Does that mean it won't work on this 1st generation of iPod Touch from 2008?

So many games which I don't care for though. App Store really needs a filter for supported older apps. Ugh.

May 10, 2015 3:02 AM in response to antdude

Actually, there is a way, for google to tell you what apps are still comparable with an older iOS (iPhone Operating System) device.

Paste one of these search stings into google.

site:itunes.apple.com/us/ "Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1."

site:itunes.apple.com/us/ "Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.2."

site:itunes.apple.com/us/ "Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1."

site:itunes.apple.com/us/ "Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1."

site:itunes.apple.com/us/ "Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0."

If there is a specific app you are looking for, then add that at the end of the search string.

If you are in a different country, then replace /us/ with the 2 letter country abbreviation.

For example India would be /in/ Russia would be /ru/

The part that is surrounded by quotes is looking for an Exact match. The part comes after will search for any or all of the words listed.

Give it a try. Modify it and see what comes up.

I Hope this helps!

Is there a way to only show old iOS versions in App Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.