Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my new mbp13 trackpad and keyboard stopped working

9 Days old, my MacBook pro 13" retina stopped working. cant use the keyboard or the trackpad. how do I solve this? i've read that this is a "common" problem.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 10:19 PM

5 replies

Dec 24, 2013 12:10 AM in response to SvenErik@

SvenErik,

Know that you are not alone. Several users have reported this issue and there are a significant number of threads on the forums discussing this. I, too, am experiencing this issue and my system is around the same age as yours.

Also to Linc - while I realize you are trying to help, posting a link without any additional commentary isn't helpful. How do you know he hasn't already found that KB article? Also, if you read his post, his system is 9 days old which means the EFI firmware is already installed since most systems that were shipped after the 2nd are reporting the 03 version BootROM. He also said he is running 10.9.1 which means he already installed updates through the App Store.

Next, I am not only a user who is experiencing the same behavior as the OP as well as several other members on the forums but I am also a certified Apple Tech 4 times over. I have tried everything from SMC reset, PRAM reset, closing the lid for any length of time, turning the system off for any length of time, reinstalling the OS, installed ALL updates (I even have tried the Developer version of 10.9.1 plus updates that aren't yet released), connecting USB 1.1 and 2.0 devices in every possible configuration, Bluetooth keyboard / mouse and, needless to say, the problem persists. I have run ASD on the system which reports zero errors and interestingly enough, the trackpad and keyboard work outside of the Mavericks install. This is now considered a known and common issue and is clearly related to an incompatibility between Mavericks and the 13" rMBP late 2013. My advice to the OP -- call Apple, explain your situation and the threads, say that it's 9 days old and should not be experiencing this issue or any issue and you want a replacement arranged. You are well within your right and the exchange period or request such a thing. The only downside is that since this is such a large issue, there isn't a guarantee that the replacement will work as desired (I.E without these problems) but it is a good first step.

Dec 24, 2013 1:25 AM in response to SvenErik@

SvenErik@ wrote:

9 Days old, my MacBook pro 13" retina stopped working. cant use the keyboard or the trackpad. how do I solve this? i've read that this is a "common" problem.

Please read the warranty paperwork that came w/your computer.

You have 14 days to return the computer w/no questions asked.

You have 90 days of FREE phone tech support on top of your standard 1 year warranty unless you also purchased AppleCare which gives you an additional 2 years of coverage plus FREE phone support.

Strongly suggest that you take FULL advantage of the above before it runs out. Let Apple deal w/the problems.

If you DIY and mess up, your warranty will be VOIDED!

User uploaded file

my new mbp13 trackpad and keyboard stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.