Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Print Screen as a File on MacBook Pro Using Bootcamp 5.0 on Windows 8.1

I know print screen on a MBP is Shift + Fn + F11, but I want to print screen as a file. I tried Shift + Fn + F11 + Command but it doesn't work. Does Bootcamp support this feature?

MacBook Pro, Windows 8

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 11:58 PM

12 replies

Dec 24, 2013 12:01 AM in response to steveoy

In Windows, you can use a third-party application or a good solution would be to use the On-Screen keyboard included in Windows. That keyboard has got the Imp Pant key, that allows you to copy a screenshot of the whole display.

Then, open Paint and press Control and V keys to paste the screenshot. Finally, close Paint and save the screenshot as a file.

Note that third-party applications may offer you a faster way of doing that

Dec 24, 2013 10:14 AM in response to mende1

You misunderstood what I meant. I meant save a screeshot directly as a file instead of using the clipboard and doing the messy paste and save operation. Windows 8.1 provides that option using the Windows Key + Print Screen. I tried that with MacBook Pro using Shift + Fn + F11 + Command keys, but it doesn't work. Does Bootcamp allow this without using any third party apps? I would really want to avoid using a third party app for such a simple operation like this.

Dec 24, 2013 10:18 AM in response to steveoy

Unfortunately, there's no way to do what you want in a MacBook Pro with the internal keyboard and without using any application. The keyboard shortcut you mentioned works but it only copies the screenshot to the clipboard and nothing else. Use Paint to create a file with your screenshot, and if you want, see if On-Screen Keyboard allows you to use the Windows key and the Print key to do it

Dec 24, 2013 10:49 AM in response to steveoy

Boot Camp is not an operating system. Boot Camp Assistant creates a Boot Camp partition where Windows is installed.

To get a screen capture you use one of the methods already provided in other posts. If you are running OSx you use the screen capture method for OSx. If you are running Windows you use the screen caputer/snipping tools provided.

Dec 24, 2013 12:30 PM in response to steveoy

steveoy wrote:

You can check with Apple, too. It's not like I am the only one that wants this feature.

I don't have to check with Apple. I'm using screen capture in both OSx and Windows as explained above. I am saving the screen capture to an image file any time I want/need to.

Hopefully when you contact Apple they will satisfy your need.

How to Print Screen as a File on MacBook Pro Using Bootcamp 5.0 on Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.