Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS9 Quicktime update 4.1.2 error-- Pro Tools 5.1.1

I have a Pro Tools optimized OS9 G4 graphite (?) mac

When I try to open Pro Tools LE, I get an error message:

can not be opened because "Soundlib--SoundConverterFillBuffer" could not be found.

After googling this error message, on an Avid Forum, I found that it refers to a Quicktime 4.1.2 update that must be made before Pro Tools LE 5.1.1 can run on OS9:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=23094

Ok, so, I downloaded the Quicktime update onto my MacBook laptop USB-stick, then tried to install on my OS9 G4-- but to no avail-- when trying to install, I get the following error message:

"Quicktime Installer" could not be opened because an error type -39 occurred.

I'm not finding anything useful on Google in regard to this "error type -39"

I'd be eternally grateful if anyone here has any ideas on what I might try to remedy the above problems.

A "friend" gave me this G4 to use for a inexpensive recording device-- he told me "it worked." Maybe he was wrong, or didnt wanna admit that it had this problem (?) Or maybe its something simple that anyone familiar with OS9 would know about-- I've never worked much on one of these os9 macs...

G4 Desktop-OTHER, Mac OS 9.0.x, Pro Tools won't open!!!!

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 1:37 AM

1 reply

Dec 24, 2013 11:58 AM in response to G4Loose

That error is often caused by Stuffit Expander intruding where it should not, particularly when the download is in a .smi (self-mounting image) format, a format generated by Apple's Disk Copy. Stuffit Expander has ShrinkWrap technology built-in, which allows it to mount some kinds of disk images - but not .smi ones. Yet ShrinkWrap tries to - hence the error message.

The solution - double-click Stuffit Expander, and open its Preferences (under the File menu). Select "Disk Images" from the list on the left, then turn off (uncheck) "Mount Disk Images". Quit Stuffit Expander.

OS9 Quicktime update 4.1.2 error-- Pro Tools 5.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.