Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use at the same time the audio sounds of a keyboard & the midi sounds with mainstage

Hello! hope you can shed some light on my problem! I want to be able to use at the same time the real sounds of korg sv-1(stage keyboard, but it could be any stage piano with USB midi) and use other sounds from mainstage. Of course i switch between patches and sets with a footpedal so i can be quick with my changes of sounds so I try to keep my hands on the keys.

My question is: Is there a way that one moment for example i have a silend patch (from mainstage) and the real sound i want passing through audio and the next moment silence from korg and the next patch a sound from mainstage? Or even combine them. I mean in general how am I able to integrate the sounds I prepared and organised in patches in mainstage with the beautiful piano & rhode sounds of my sv-1?

thanx in advance for your response!

MainStage, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 9:39 AM

Yes. To have a silent Mainstage patch, simply do not create any instrument channel strips. To have the SV-1 silent on a patch you should be able to set and save the volume for that patch to 0. As an alternative you could turn local off on the SV-1( this function will reset to local on after the SV-1 has been turned off). With local off you can determine with each Mainstage patch whether or not you want to transmit MIDI to the external instrument(SV-1) channel strip. If you have local on, be careful not to create a MIDI feedback/loop with the SV-1. This is a lot of info to digest at once, so take it slowly, step by step. Snapshots below are somewhat in order.

Click on the cog wheel in the upper right corner of the channel strips section to get to this menu. Select add external instrument channel strip.

User uploaded file

The external channel instrument strip will look like this.

User uploaded file

Click on the MIDI output box to show the display below and choose your external keyboard destination(SV-1).

User uploaded file

In the channel strip inspector you can send patch changes to the SV-1.

User uploaded file

Here is where you select the MIDI input for routing MIDI to the SV-1. If want no SV-1 sound for this Mainstage patch, select none.

User uploaded file

You'll need to play with these parameters to get the desired results. Stepping through the MS patches with a footswitch can be done, too, but that can wait for now. Post another question when you master these steps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2013 9:39 AM in response to Lefteris_UR

Yes. To have a silent Mainstage patch, simply do not create any instrument channel strips. To have the SV-1 silent on a patch you should be able to set and save the volume for that patch to 0. As an alternative you could turn local off on the SV-1( this function will reset to local on after the SV-1 has been turned off). With local off you can determine with each Mainstage patch whether or not you want to transmit MIDI to the external instrument(SV-1) channel strip. If you have local on, be careful not to create a MIDI feedback/loop with the SV-1. This is a lot of info to digest at once, so take it slowly, step by step. Snapshots below are somewhat in order.

Click on the cog wheel in the upper right corner of the channel strips section to get to this menu. Select add external instrument channel strip.

User uploaded file

The external channel instrument strip will look like this.

User uploaded file

Click on the MIDI output box to show the display below and choose your external keyboard destination(SV-1).

User uploaded file

In the channel strip inspector you can send patch changes to the SV-1.

User uploaded file

Here is where you select the MIDI input for routing MIDI to the SV-1. If want no SV-1 sound for this Mainstage patch, select none.

User uploaded file

You'll need to play with these parameters to get the desired results. Stepping through the MS patches with a footswitch can be done, too, but that can wait for now. Post another question when you master these steps.

May 4, 2014 10:05 AM in response to Pablo Sousa

If you do a screenshot I will be able to help you actually! And be sure that you are either using a usb midi cable (so you have simultaneously MIDI out and MIDI in r a doulbe midi cable sending midi in and out at the same time!! You need the midi out as well in order to control your keyboard from mainstage. with only the midi in you can just send information, not receive

How to use at the same time the audio sounds of a keyboard & the midi sounds with mainstage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.