Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

constant iCloud Dialogue Box Reminder isBecoming Annoying

I'm a L-O-N-G time Mac user, but have had myriad problems both getting my latest iMac up and running (due to hardware issues) – and dealing with updated versions of familiar software that were not compatible with the new OS X version on my current Mac, so have not had time to explore iCloud. Also have a new iPad mini still sittining the box because I haven't had time even to set it up.

Meanwhile, in the past week or so, I've suddenly been besieged with reminders to do "something" with iCloud. Although I have a general idea of the kinds of services iCloud offers, I 'm not sure I want to deal with it right now. In particular, I'm concerned about having to rely on documents stored "up here" if accessing them requires internet access, since our service from Time Waner is flaky to say the least. Monthly statements for our service always arrive on time, but we never know when our phone, TV or internet service will be on the blink.

For all of the above reasons, I would rather postpone dealing with iCloud for now (or at leatuntil I get my ipad set up) , but am uncertain about how to stop the reminders without disabling iCloud completely (if that's possible). So far I have been able to locate iCloud in my system profile, but can't tell if restarting it later will be a problem.

So far I have not attempted to turn off individual features because it requires signing in — which rasies another problem:

In my nearly 30 years as a Mac user, Apple has used different formats for passwords (e.g., no specific format . . . specific number of letters . . . combination of upper and lowercase letters . . . inclusion of a single cap or numeral . . . mixed caps and numerals, etc.) so it seems like I'm constantly having to choose new passwords altogether in order to avoid conflicts with earlier versions of the same word.

I learned years ago to keep updated passwords for different websites in a notebook, but Apple apprently still has some of the old names in its system, which means that I am constantly having to change even recently updated names.

Yes, I know it's recommended that passwords be changed regularly to avoid hacking, but I am running out of creative new combinations for just the dozen or so sites I visit most regularly.

In short, is there any way to just stop the iCloud reminders without having to change the password I created just 4 days ago when I installed new software?

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 8:11 AM

Delete the account (sign out) when you delete your account, all the data that is synced with iCloud will also be deleted from the device (but not from iCloud), but will be synced back to your device when you login again.

9 replies

Dec 24, 2013 9:41 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I don't believe I have an account (unless it was set-up automarically when I first plugged in this Mac) . . . but also am not sure I understand by "all the data that is synced with iCloud will also be deleted from the device (but not from iCloud), but will be synced back to your device when you login again."

If anything at all was synced with iCloud, it was inadvertent . .. though, until I replaced several apps that were incompatible with my new Mac, I had to relay data back and forth between my old one . . . a thumb drive . . . occasionally an external drive and sometimes even email (to myself) , because either the graphic car or screen itself on my old Mac was on its last legs. It's possible, therefore, that I might have saved a doc or two to the, iCloud unintentionally.

IOW, I don't care about losing that, but am concerned about losing it from "the device" — which I am guessing is your generic name for my Mac (or other external devices). . . . Or inthis case, do you mean that the iCloud will permanently lose any date synced to it, but will still be on my Mac when I login to it again.

Dec 24, 2013 3:44 PM in response to Winston Churchill

"This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with call_the_scribe@email.com.

Open iCloud preferences to fix this problem.

I havn't been trying to save email messages on iCloud, so have no idea of what this message means.

Also have not even tried to fix the problem on iCloud because of the problems that usually crop up when trying to change anything in the system. (i.e., User name generally fills in automatically, but last selected password often is rejected.)

Dec 24, 2013 4:06 PM in response to callthescribe

Do you recognise that email address.

If it's yours and it appears at system preferences > iCloud then you need to sign out if you don't want to use iCloud. When you sign out any data that is in that account will be removed from the Mac, but it will remain in your account in the cloud, so if you find it removes anything you didn't want it to, you can get it back by signing in again.

If you have any doubt about what data is in iCloud, you can see it at...

iCloud.com

Dec 24, 2013 8:42 PM in response to Winston Churchill

"When you sign out any data that is in that account will be removed from the Mac, but it will remain in your account in the cloud, so if you find it removes anything you didn't want it to, you can get it back by signing in again."

That's exactly what concerns me. Although I probably will appreciate it once I have time to play around with my new iPad — or if should suddenly lose all the data on my Mac, for now, I have no interest in using the iCloud.

But your explanation hits precisely on my concern. If I understand it correctly, signing out will remove the date from my Mac , but leep it in iCloud. I don't understand why I casn't selectively remove specific items from iCloud, but keep them on the Mac.

Aldo, since the message I keep receiving seems to be limited to my email why "the system" keeps insisting that iCloud requires that I sign out.

Why is that necessary if I just want to keep the status quo without sending it off ot iCloud?

Jul 5, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I've signed out and now it just 'hangs' when I try to sign in, giving me the message 'Verifying' with endless spinning wheel (7 hours still spinning) - Forget it. iCloud is worthless. It's about time they junked it or fix it so it works.

Finally, it now comes back with the message that 'Account can't be verified' then asked me to check my email, which I did and found a message saying my iCloud was not working. Gee....

This is beyond ridiculous. I have struggled with trying to get iCloud working for at least the last 3 years. I've never been able to make it happy.

Jul 5, 2015 6:02 PM in response to Kenneth Nielsen

I hope Winston Churchill sees your response, because it found its way to my email.

IAlthough I start the thread 6months ago, with a question about iCloud, I thing WC identified with the problem and added his own question to the thread.

But at least I don't feel I'm out in left field alone, just because at this time, I don't feel I really need the features iCloud offers.

BTW, I also don't recall following any of the suggestions that were offered, but some how, the messages that were confusing me just faded away.

constant iCloud Dialogue Box Reminder isBecoming Annoying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.