Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solution For Microphone - Low Volume or Not Working

I just read pages of forum discussions trying to fix extremely poor microphone volume on my Macbook Air. I tried to change all kinds of microphone settings, doing hardware resets, and uninstalling software. I even made an appointment to the Genius Bar because some people posted that they had to replace their microphones.

However, I finally found a simple solution. It turns out that after some time, dust gets inside of your microphone and blocks the holes through which it captures the sound. You need to take a tiny needle or a wire and poke each tiny hole of the microphone located on the left side of the macbook. After taking out some dust, my microphone began working as new.

Hope this helps to someone in the future.

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 11:37 AM

yes, people can grab their Macs where the mic holes are and clog them with hand oil/ dirt.

So long as one is merely removing debris and not taking a super thin needle and actually poking the microphone (bad idea) , then alls well.

😊

8 replies

Jun 18, 2016 7:36 AM in response to slyfoxa

Thank you so much for posting this. I have a second hand MacBook Air 13", and I knew I couldn't afford the Genius bar to fix it. I tried the microphone needle cleaning thing.

It helped a lot! It's not nearly as good as my 5-year old MaBook Pro (both are about the same age). The Pro is still maxing out on the input volume, but the Air I just cleaned is like 4 notches below.

That's still better than it was before.

Solution For Microphone - Low Volume or Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.