Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to load the Snow Leopard disc into my older 20" monitor but it isn't working...

Hi, I'm old school still using the OS 10.5.8 on my 20" monitor iMac, I've purchased the snow leopard upgrade but the drive won't accept it and spits the disc out so how can I get the drive to read it?

I put the disc in and about 30 seconds later it spits the disc. I've attempted this procedure 8-10 times. Obviously, I need to upgrade so I ordered the Snow Leopard through Apple and they sent me the disc.

HELP! and Happy Holidays!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 20" monitor w/Intel processor

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 12:37 PM

10 replies

Dec 24, 2013 12:47 PM in response to MarkusAqui

Your optical drive may be out of alignment or the laser may be dirty or the disc you received is defective.

What you can try is to use a different Mac that can read the DVD, if it's not defective. Get an 8 GB or larger USB flash drive. Partition it GUID and format it Mac OS Extended, Journaled. Clone the mounted DVD to the flash drive using Disk Utility.

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag

it to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the USB flash drive. Source means the mounted DVD on the Desktop.

Dec 24, 2013 1:17 PM in response to baltwo

hey baltwo,

First off, I'm now living in Miami Beach but for 35 years home was San Diego! So good to speak with a homey. Always a renter, I've lived in Bay Park, Del Mar, Cardiff, Clairmont and Birdrock until I left this past March.

Ok, that being said, here's my issue: I wouldn't know the first thing about reseting my NVRAM/PRAM or SMC. I could Google the question, I suppose and see what they tell me.

Other options offered have been to purchase an 8g flash drive and load it into that but that process makes my head hurt. I just want the **** disc to be read in my computer and that it doesn't irritates me and causes me to move onto other projects. That's why two weeks into this and I still haven't solved the problem.

Thanks for your help,

Markus

Dec 24, 2013 1:33 PM in response to Kappy

There in lies the problem, its a beautiful machine...its the flat screen with the white boundry but one of the managers told a Genius bartender not to touch my monitor as apperently its an "antique" and they won't guarantee any work done on it. So that halted all assistance. As yet I haven't found an authorized Apple repair anywhere around me.

I could go back and hopefully that manager isn't there but that's what happened a couple weeks ago.

Dec 24, 2013 1:35 PM in response to MarkusAqui

MarkusAqui wrote:

First off, I'm now living in Miami Beach but for 35 years home was San Diego! So good to speak with a homey. Always a renter, I've lived in Bay Park, Del Mar, Cardiff, Clairmont and Birdrock until I left this past March.

Don't know how anyone can stand the humidity. I've lived in Jacksonvile and Pensacola.

Ok, that being said, here's my issue: I wouldn't know the first thing about reseting my NVRAM/PRAM or SMC. I could Google the question, I suppose and see what they tell me.

Blue-colored text usually indicates clickable links. No need for any searching.

Dec 24, 2013 1:35 PM in response to MarkusAqui

A simpler solution is go out and buy any brand external DVD drive that connects by USB port and it will work with your Mac.

That is except the Apple branded external USB Superdrive as Apple has restricted them to only work on Mac computers that did not originally come with a built in DVD drive. So one of those will not work on your, or any, iMac that came with a built in DVD drive.

Most any brand external costs around $30-$50.

Dec 24, 2013 1:49 PM in response to MarkusAqui

Antique? It can't be any older than from Jan. 2006 which is when the first Intel iMacs were released. It's not yet 8 years old. I'd think that would be kinda young for antique status. It's not the first model to have that display, but it is the last.

Don't take to one of the geniuses. Ask to speak to the store manager along with their technician, and have them explain why they can't work on the computer in order to replace or repair the opical drive.

I'm trying to load the Snow Leopard disc into my older 20" monitor but it isn't working...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.