Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express blinking amber light "No DNS"/ "No internet"

Ok, before everyone flames me, I've read most of the other umpteen discussions on this topic and there's not a single bit of detailed/ helpful info in any of them, they're all way too vague or just don't apply.

I have 3 new aiport expresses. I've set up my base station successfully and I have internet connection.

I'm just trying to use the other 2 as remote stations to beam music to in other rooms in my apt.

All 3 have blinking yellow lights, and in my 5 years of owning Airport Expresses (older ones that I'm now replacing), and a Time Capsule (now replaced), I've always been able to resolve them. Until now.

Most people will reply "just opren Airport Utility, click on the AE in question and it'll tell you what's wrong with it." But nothing could be further from the truth.

The vague info is "No DNS servers" and "Internet connection." Not "no internet connection," just "Internet connection" and yet I do have wireless internet, so that's confusing. It's not saying why it's a problem, or more importantly, what to do about it. The options are "edit" or "ignore." I have no idea which is the right choice. I have no idea how to "edit" it, what would I edit it to? Isn't the **** AE supposed to figure out how to talk to its brethren on its own? And "ignore"? I have no idea what this will do. ****, maybe it's fine to ignore, but there's no guidance.

And no: none of them need software updates. They're all running 7.6.4 and my 3-month old iMac is on 10.8.5.

Thx for any help.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 1:11 PM

10 replies

May 22, 2015 1:04 PM in response to Markoneus

I was able to figure this one out by going into the Airport Utility and editing the base station. I wen to the Internet tab and edited the DNS server. The numbers were already in there but for some reason they were ghosted out, as if it was suggesting that address but not committed to it. Once I entered it exactly as it was grayed out and I accepted the settings all lights on both my utility and the base station itself went solid green.

May 10, 2016 11:33 PM in response to Markoneus

do a hard reset pull out all wires from air port .how to do a reset : support.apple.com/en-in/ht201945

use articles air port base stations : about air port station LED support.apple.com/en-us/ht202211 understanding & resolving a blinking amber status light support.apple.com/en-in/ht203198

note : after resetting air port the light of it should be constant green always ( not blinking ) - make sure it should never be amber . form a tough air port base station password written in diary always .

if air port is working settings in air port : open air port utility in spotlight : click on edit : click on internet : internet options : configure ip v6 - automatically click on wireless - wireless security must be always WPA2 personal AES - wireless options - enable the box - hidden network ( by doing your network name will be hidden with your neighbours or surroundings ) .

then click on network - network mode - off bridge mode . network options : allow teredo channels should be unchecked rest 2 options must be checked always .

if you are not using air play - uncheck the box .

but what about the settings on the router provided by the ISP ( means if you are using D- link or net gear whatever . have you opened the page . of it - open it

admin : admin , password : set your password max 15 characters ( alpha numerical or a tough one ) written in your diary always . settings should be automatic . firewall box should be 100 % checked or enabled - make it sure FIREWALL BOX ENABLED . click on advanced - then click on - remote management - it should be disabled , DMZ - should be disabled

after that click on save .

if you do automatic settings not to worry the router will take settings in its own way .

May 10, 2016 11:43 PM in response to rebeccab18

open system preferences - click on network - location - should be automatic - click on advanced - then wi - fi - enable the box - remember the networks this computer has joined . rest all options are unchecked .

tcp / IP - leave it as

DNS settings : 8.8.8.8. 8.8.4.4 these are google DNS server settings . both should be there first one 8.8.8.8 ( primary ) secondary : 8.8.4.4 if computer is not joined to first server or taking time it will shift to secondary one .

leave rest options as it is .

then in last click on - apply computer will be joined to network .

note : open DNS settings are not safe so use google server settings : 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

May 11, 2016 12:13 AM in response to Markoneus

some more articles on airport base stations that will be helpful : airport utility 6.x : set NAT options for your base station or air port time capsule support.apple.com/kb/ph5103 , get help with multiple - NAT configurations for back to my mac support.apple.com/en-in/ht203147

air port base stations : how to view WAN & wifi mac addresses support.apple.com/en-us/ht202640

airport utility 6.x : control how long a computer has a valid ip address support.apple.com/kb/ph22784

airport utility 6.x : graphical view support.apple.com/kb/ph22791

control when a user can access your wi fi network support.apple.com/kb/ph22785

export & import base stations settings support.apple.com/kb/ph22788

reserve a DHCP address for clients computer support.apple.com/kb/ph22783

direct network traffic to a specific computer on your network support.apple.com/kb/ph22782

if the the base station lights is flashing support.apple.com/kb/ph22806

change your wireless networks name , password & security settings support.apple.com/kb/ph22811

if you can't choose a wifi network support.apple.com/kb/ph22803

items that can interfere with a wifi network support.apple.com/kb/ph22804

if you can't choose a wifi network support.apple.com/kb/ph22803

about the advanced control panels support.apple.com/kb/ph22774

change you base station name & password support.apple.com/kb/ph22812

if you forget your password support.apple.com/kb/ph22807

set NAT options for your base station or airport time capsule support.apple.com/kb/ph5103

set wireless options support.apple.com/kb/ph22780

Airport Express blinking amber light "No DNS"/ "No internet"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.