Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I utilize the free space in external hard drive?

Hey,

I have a 1T external usb harddrive and formated as NTFS. It has about 250GB free space and I am trying to see if I can utilize that space for timemachine backup?

Please advise.

/S

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 1:24 PM

11 replies

Dec 24, 2013 1:44 PM in response to YeaSt2u

Once you have a Time Machine backup disk do not store any live files on it. If you do so then if that disk crashes you will lose all those live files that are not backed up. So if you wish to offload files from your system disk you will need two hard drives, one for the Time Machine backup and one for offloading the live files.

They you will need a scheme to backup the offloaded files onto the backup drive. You create two partitions on the backup drive: one for the Time Machine backups and one for the offloaded-files backup. Then you can use cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to backup the offloaded files into their backup partition.

Dec 24, 2013 1:51 PM in response to YeaSt2u

Use a Windows computer to copy all the files from that external and then format it either Fat32 or exFAT, I suggest FAT32 if you don't have any Files over 4GBs in size. Once that is done you can then Copy/Move those files back to the external and then connect it to your Mac. Mac OS X can read and write to FAT32 and exFAT formatted drives. So you can then use it to store other files on fro your Mac.

But you need a Dedicated, Indepentant, Separate external for Time Machine backups and that drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a Partition table of GUID.

YeaSt2u wrote:

Hey,

I have a 1T external usb harddrive and formated as NTFS. It has about 250GB free space and I am trying to see if I can utilize that space for timemachine backup?

Please advise.

/S

Dec 24, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Niel

That might work to store files on but not for Time Machine backups. That drive is now a MBR drive, partition table, and can't be changed without wiping everything off it.

Time Machine need both Mac format and GUID partition table.

And if the OP did that he would not be able to read that new Mac formatted partition on his Windows PC, if he needs that function.

Niel wrote:

Use the Disk Utility to create a partition in that space formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

(95410)

Dec 24, 2013 6:16 PM in response to YeaSt2u

Here is what I did and it seems work fine:

I formated the free space as second partition in NTFS. Then plug into my mac and mac auto detects the new partition asked if i want to use it as back. You could just say yes but I choose later. I then use disk utility to re-format the second partition as MAC OS Journal format and open timemachine to configure it as backup drive.

This way I can keep using the harddrive for windows and mac and also as a timemachine drive!!!

How can I utilize the free space in external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.