Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blue tooth mighty mouse

After update to Mavericks my mighty moues does not work properly anymore. It's successfully recognised by the system, I can access all the options, the click action is also recognise but the arrow does not move at all.

Is there any known solution for this issue ?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 2:39 AM

13 replies

Dec 28, 2013 3:35 AM in response to francesco.n78

I thing technology has overtaken the old Mighty Mouse. Maybe, if you like a wireless mouse you should consider purchasing the Apple Magic Mouse. I have several friends using Apple's latest mouse and they're all very happy with it. However, for me, and I use three different Macs for my business, I use several Microsoft's 500 v2.0 wired mouse and at £10 it's a steal. You can't go wrong with it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Basic-Optical-Mouse-Packaging/dp/B009PBIIK4/re f=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1388230465&sr=8-11&keywords=microsoft+mouse

Dec 30, 2013 3:02 AM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

Well an OS update which require new purchase and hardware replacement by the customer is more Microsfot style than apple style .. I really dont want to believe that apple's started to follow microsoft updating strategy !😟

Anyway I have to admit that, after fifteen years as happy apple' customer, since mountain lion release I started to regret the choice of update my OS and till now my best solution is not a mouse replacement but an OS downgrade which probably will let me be more happy.

Dec 30, 2013 3:26 AM in response to francesco.n78

No you're quite incorrect on that one. Believe me when I say that I've used Macs for over 30 years and wouldn;t use anything else. As for downgrading Mavericks, there is a saying that you should never go back, and despite what you might read in this forum, there's every good reason why you should stick with 10.9.1. The mouse issue is so insignificant that any wired usb mouse would work with your setup. In my case I like the compact nature of Microsoft's tiny optical mouse and when working in complex design work with InDesign and Quark Xpress, I can't afford to be restricted with a wireless mouse that doesn't have the control I enjoy. For the £10 or 2 dollars, it isn't worth worrying about. So get to understand Mavericks and enjoy your Mac experience.

Dec 30, 2013 4:45 AM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

Well it's not about 1, 10, 100 dollars !... It's about custom regardness, I mean do you really think that it's ok that after run an update the user can not use and do the same things he has ever used and done ?

Well a mouse is such a stupid thing to be supported that it is not acceptable for me an answer like it's not supported anymore, we are talking about an apple product, I always bought apple products even for longevity.

Are you really sure when you say mighty mouse is not supported anymore by mavericks?

Jan 1, 2014 9:08 AM in response to VikingOSX

Well I know a new mouse will work, I know it's cheap, I know everything you're saying. What I'm saying is a bit different thing, let me describe it to you:

I was living fine with my mac, everythings works fine I had nothing to ask more to my system: one day they come and say here it is a new wonderfull revolutionary OS, it's free and much better than before, I say ok let's see this new features and the first feature I discover is that I need to buy a new mouse. 😀 😀 😀 😀

Well this is not my idea of upgrade, and I can say for sure this has never been the apple idea of upgrade: I know that for someone who had ever used windows these seem normal, but for an "old" mac user like me it's not acceptable.

Obviously I can survive even without mouse and with the news that even apple has starting doing microsoft-style upgrade 😀 😀 😀

Jan 1, 2014 10:33 AM in response to francesco.n78

If the small trackball is sufficiently gummed up (and they do so frequently) this may explain why your mouse pointer isn't moving. Disconnect the mouse from the computer if wired or turn the mouse off if bluetooth. Turn it upside down so that trackball is against your pant leg. Rub it back and forth, side-to-side, and diagonally for awhile to see if this has a positive effect when you reconnect the mouse.

If the pointer still doesn't move, you are probably done with this old mouse.

Jun 29, 2015 1:47 PM in response to VikingOSX

•How to Gut and Clean your Mighty Mouse (or Apple USB mouse w/Rollerball)
http://creativebits.org/toolbox/mighty_mouse_gutting_and_cleaning

I'd held off on buying a new one, then got this last edition Mini Server
that has Mavericks included; with so many places you need to drag a
page round, the scroll-wheel multiple button mouse is a necessity.

But I got a 'mouse-in-a-box' from the grocery for $12. that works OK.

However, today I found a 50¢ Mighty Mouse (apple) in a second hand
store and before using it, will at least clean the roller-ball. The above
link (in Comments) has good suggestions on cleaning just the Ball...

So, this will not require dismembering and reassembling to do it.

{I'd thought the web page had gone away, since I'd had a few bookmarked
some years ago; this one still exists but the other repair page is gone.}

PS: Wish me luck, since the roller-ball may be fine; the rest may be shot! 🙂

Jun 29, 2015 8:53 PM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

Hello Barry,

I will have to disagree strongly with advising to OP to use the Apple Magic Mouse.

I far as I am still aware (although I do not know about the "current" state and quality of the Magic Mouse) these are horrible with regard to battery life, even with much higher priced lithium ion batteries designed for high drain devices.

You end up buying rechargeable batteries and, also, using something like the Mobee Magic Mouse charging plate to constantly keep it charged.

I had one when they first came out and returned it within the 14 day period.

Another horrible Apple input device. Looks great!...just doesn't function great. Magic Mouse, IMO, is right up there in failed Apple kit like the old iMac hockey puck mouse.

blue tooth mighty mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.