Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iPhoto crop pictures?

I am sick fed up with programs which decide what I want to do with my pictures. I have some photo's which have information right to the edge and I wish this information to be shown, but iPhoto decides that I don't need it. I have tried cropping the picture every way I can think of, using the cropping tool, but still, when the image is placed, iPhoto crops it again.

The other thing is - why does it decide to juggle the pictures around? I see a nice layout and find a picture that will fit the shape and style of the page, drop it onto the appropriate placeholder and - poof - iPhoto reorders the page layout so that a portrate picture that I was dropping into a portrate frame - now appears in a landscape placeholder (all nicely chopped the wrong way) and in a completely different layout from the original.

iPhoto is just SO frustrating.

I spent hours on a family photo book. One picture needed cropped, so I went and cropped it. As I clicked DONE - the program crashed and I got a bit miffed, but then I thought that everything would have been left the way it was just prior to my cropping operation - you can imagine my horror when, after opening up iPhoto again, all my hours of work were gone. I read this forum and discovered others who had the same trouble and the solution was given to delete the plist file and also rebuild the library. I tried this and it has worked - so far - but WHY was this necessary in the first place??

I wonder how many more people have lost all their valuable time because of this problem and is there not a way of warning people that they have to do this before it happens?

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Also use Intel Mac & iPod Touch 2G

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 6:57 AM

5 replies

Dec 25, 2013 7:29 AM in response to alibear57

I'm going to make a wildw guess here and wonder if you're trying to make a book in iPhoto?

The "cropping" occurs because you're using a photo that is shape X in a box that is shape Y. So, if you have a 4x6 photo and you drop in on a 3x5 box, there's going to be a problem. The solution: right click on the image and select 'Fit Photo to Frame'

Going forward, descriptions of your emotional state rather confuse the issues, and as anyone who responds here is simply a volunteer giving of their own time, a disincentive to helping.

Dec 25, 2013 9:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence, thanks for your help & advice. I really should stop getting myself so emotional about these things, as you suggest, I keep thinking this is an Apple site and that the posts might be read by someone from Apple who is 'emotional' enough to care about the frustration their programs are causing, silly me - but I take your point, there's also a lot of very helpful people on here who might be able to offer a solution to Apple's indifference.

Your information about the right clicking to fit the picture to the box seems only to work with full page images with style number 1 selected - anything else and the option is greyed out - is there something else I'm missing here?

I AM also aware that you can't fit a round peg into a square hole - I just feel that if I've got a round 'peg' that I want to display, then Apple should give me a round 'hole' instead of trying to squash it into their square hole? ie if I'm dropping a 4x6 photo onto the page (just because I WANT to) then why can't the box expand/contract to that size - all the other boxes seem to be able to adjust at iPhoto's good pleasure.

Dec 25, 2013 9:42 AM in response to alibear57

If you think that things have to work the way yu want then you have to tell Apple about it - telling the volenteers here accomplishes nothing

And as TD explained inserting your gripes and editorial comments not only does not help you get answers - it makes it more difficult for use to actually discover revelant facts -- you failed at this insruction - your latest post is about 3/4 useless comments

we can help you use iPhoto as it is - we can change nothing

some themes support fit to frame - some do not - experimenting is the only way to discover which do and which do not

LN

Why does iPhoto crop pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.