Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore Imac 10.8 to Factory Settings?

I have an iMac with 10.8 and it's getting slower as I download things. So I want to reset the computer clean, but don't know how. I have 10.8, like I said, but don't have a disl or anything. I've checked other tutorials and they have a installation disk, which I don't have. Any other ways?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 8:20 AM

7 replies

Dec 25, 2013 8:24 AM in response to tibors1

Lion (10.7.x) and forward do not have installation discs. However the real question is on such a new machien why in the world do you want to set the machine to the factory settings, OS X is not like a Windows box that requires that to be done annually. You can do it of course but before you go down that road why not properly troubleshoot your problem whatever it is.

Dec 25, 2013 8:52 AM in response to tibors1

OK. Well before you do ANYTHING do a complete backup of your computer to an EHD using Time Machine or create a bootable clone. Then test the backup to ensure it works.

After backing up and testing it boot to the Recovery Partition. How you do that is simple, restart and when you hear the startup tone hold down the Option Key and choose the Recovery Partition.

Open Disk Utility and do an erase of the internal HD, next exit Disk Utility and while still in the Recovery Partition do an Install of OS X to your internal HD. If you screw it up then you will have to take a trip with the machine to your local Apple Store or AASP to have it done correctly. Note I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this so all this risk is yours.

How to restore Imac 10.8 to Factory Settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.