Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 stuck in recovery mode loop after battery change

my iphone 5 is stuck in recovery mode after battery change, I decided to change my faulty iphone 5 battery as i was out of warrenty, I managed to chance the battery with no problems (I Think), when i put the phone back together and tried to power on with the power button, nothing happened.! i connected to itunes and it powered on, displaying the connect to itunes screen (recovery mode) all was going well, the phone was restoring, the image of the phone restoring and loading up was displayed on the screen, when it finished it restarted but to show the connect to itunes screen again, it is stuck in the recovery loop. i tried the steps with holding the power and home button etc, none worked.! now when i try to restore, it extracts software but then, ' the iphone could not be restored, an unknown error occured (3194)' comes up, any ideas out there???? and Happy Christmas to Everyone 🙂,

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 9:56 AM

12 replies

Dec 27, 2013 2:17 PM in response to Andyoneill9

Hello Andyoneill9,

It sounds like you are trying to restore your phone but keep getting an errror message 3194. I want to recommend the troubleshooting steps from this article named:

Error 3194 or "This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4451

Resolution

Important: If you see one of these messages and need help updating or restoring your iOS device, Install the latest version of iTunes and try to update or restore again. After that, follow these steps if you need more help.

Check your "hosts" file

After you've updated iTunes to the latest version, you can check the hosts file to be sure your computer can contact the update server. Use the numbered steps below if you’re on a Mac.

If you’re using a Windows computer, follow steps in this Microsoft support article, noting that resetting the hosts file will affect software services that rely on hosts file redirects. If you're using Windows on a business computer, consult your IT department to be sure applications will still work correctly after resetting the hosts file.

1. In the Finder, choose Applications > Utilities.
  2. Open Terminal.
  3. Enter this command and then press Return:
    sudo nano /private/etc/hosts
  4. Enter the password you use to sign in to your computer and press Return. You won't see text appear in the Terminal window when you enter the password. Make sure you use a nonblank administrator password.
  5. Terminal will display the hosts file. Navigate using the arrow keys and look for an entry containing “gs.apple.com”.
  6. Add the # symbol and a space ("# ") to the beginning of the gs.apple.com entry.
  7. User uploaded file
  8. Press Control-O to save the file. Then, press Enter when prompted for the filename and Control-X to exit the editor.
  9. Restart your computer.
  10. Try to update or restore your iOS device again.

This is the first troublehsooting step to try, so there are additional things to try if needed you need them.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Jan 3, 2014 2:46 AM in response to jamiegwillym

sorry for the late reply,

Unfortunately I think our phones are f***ed, I brought mine to a place which would be very good in regards to fixing iphone problems, they had my phone for 3 days in which they could not fix it. They think that the mother board is damaged. my home and power button both work if they are attached to another phone. But not when attached to mine, this is a bad problem, I do not think apple will even look at the phone now that it has been opened. if you get any more help will u lease let me know.

cheers mate

Jan 4, 2014 6:07 PM in response to Andyoneill9

I have the same problem. I was changing the camera, because it had some dust in it and after putting everything together the iPhone 5 is in recovery mode. Restore is succesfull but when it tries to boot, I get the same connect to itunes screen. Feeling awfull right now. I certainly put everything back in place without any damage... I was thinking that maybe the power/volume button flex cable could be a problem and maybe changing it would help, but I am not sure about it.

Jan 4, 2014 10:11 PM in response to Andyoneill9

Tadasb is right, if you plug in your USB cable until you can see the apple logo then pull it out, your phone will turn on. The problem is most likely the U3 chip as highlighted on this page: http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f631/iphone5-off-flex-home-button-stopped-workin g-after-dissambely-1627422/

Mine is missing and the home / power buttons do not work. You can temporarily enable the accessibility menu in 'settings > general > accessibility' for a home button work around, but once locked you will need a notification of some sort, like a text message or phone call, or a charger to plug in to unlock your phone.

I just need to find somewhere I can get a U3 and solder it on, either that or hope that somebody comes up with a confirmed jumper solution for it.

Hope this helps.

Jan 5, 2014 6:43 AM in response to jamiegwillym

thanks for the Help, this is such a frustrating situation, is there anyway to give the phone to apple without them noticing it has been opened, the small plastic cover that is used for taken out the battery is the only way i could see they would notice.

the problem my phone is having is its not just the home and power buttons are not working but when I try to restore the phone, it extracts software etc. and restores, but then when it switches back on it goes straight back into recovery DFU mode, itune message appears saying phone is in recovery mode, this keeps happening.

thanks for all the help

Jan 5, 2014 8:38 AM in response to Andyoneill9

Yes I had the exact same problem. To turn on your phone without it going into recovery mode plug the USB charging lead in as normal, but pull it out straight away. You should then be able to use your phone as normal, only without the use of the home and power buttons. Just don't turn it off after it is on! It should work, but if not then let me know as I have another method for you to try.

Feb 13, 2014 2:20 AM in response to Andyoneill9

I had the same problem. I followed the advice on this thread and I managed to get over the recovery mode. Now my Home and Power buttons are not working.

Here's what I do in order to make the phone usable:

- I activated Assistive Touch in Settings -> General -> Accessibility (This will give you a Home button)

- I bought a battery pack. The battery pack can be turned on/off. By turning it on/off, I can unlock the screen (which otherwise you wouldn't be able to do witout the Home or Power buttons).

Feb 23, 2014 8:51 PM in response to pistaGalway

Thanks to all that posted on this board.

After further research, I realized that I too damaged the logic board with the battery repalcement. Although the solutions on this page don't replace the convenience of a working iphone, they give me a working phone and save the cost of a replacement.

In summary:

• If your home and sleep button don't work after a battery replacement (or other repair), you may have damged the U3 chip on your logic board which can not be easily replaced.
  • Let your new battery charge 15-20 minutes (you probably have done this if you are this far in the thread).
  • Connect your phone to iTunes and restore (you will lose all of your data so hopefully it was backed up).
  • Once you get the loop sequence, disconnect your iPhone and wait for the screen to shut off.
  • Plug in the lightning connector and once see the Apple logo, disconnect the lightning cable.
  • Wait......This should bring you to the same setup screen you see with a new iPhone.
  • Follow the instructions and setup a new iPhone or restore from backup.
  • Once the setup is complete, you should be at the home screen of your iPhone
  • IMPORTANT- the very first thing you should do when you see the home screen is follow jamiegwillym and pistaGalway's instructions and activate Assitice Touch ( Settings -> General -> Accessibility - > AssitiveTouch = on, i.e green indicator)
  • You will now have a "home button" on the screen that you can use anytime your iPhone is on (phone call recieved, text message, powered lightning cable inserted).
  • I like pistaGalway's solution to buy a battery pack so you can basically turn the phone on any time.

May 12, 2014 8:55 AM in response to Andyoneill9

Hey!

Having the exact same problem after manually changing the battery on my iphone5.

I'm currently using the solution described by PistaGalWay (battery pack) in order to use the phone or make calls.

To exit the recovery mode (when it happens), i use TinyUmbrella software (there's an option to Exit Recovery). However, i have to unplug the phone as soon as i click that button.

The only major problem is that this "Exit Recovery" does not work with iOS 7.1.1, so i'm stuck on iOS7.1 and i'm afraid the phone might "die" some day, because then i would have no possibility to restore to 7.1, and thus will be stuck with a bricked phone 😟

For jailbreakers, there's a tweak called SmartTap i think. it allows you to unlock the phone by double-tapping on the home screen!!

i wish i could jailbreak mine 😟, i would even pay for that!

Enjoy your bricked phones 😉

Sep 4, 2014 9:11 PM in response to Andyoneill9

I learn a way from article " iPhone stuck in recovery mode":
http://www.any-data-recovery.com/topics/iphone/reboot-iphone-stuck-in-recovery-m ode.html

Press down the Home and Power buttons on your iPhone until it shuts off.
Connect it to your computer with the USB cable.
Press and hold down the Home button.
Hold it down until iTunes says your device is entering recovery mode.
Now you should be able to Restore using iTunes.

iphone 5 stuck in recovery mode loop after battery change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.