Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I have 2nd monitor apps keep windows there?

Is there a way to configure applications that I have open on my 2nd monitor to always pop windows to that window, instead of underneith whatever I'm working on on my main monitor?

The way it worked before Mavericks?

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 10:21 AM

11 replies

Dec 28, 2013 6:29 AM in response to Howard Brazee

I have an iMac and an extra monitor. In the extra monitor I always had iTunes and a utility called SimpleFloating Clock, both of which started up when I booted my computer. Whenever iTunes popped up a window, that window showed up on top of iTunes on that monitor.

With Mavericks, SimpleFloatingClock opens up on my iMac's screen and I have to move it. iTunes' pop-up messages show up behind my current application on my iMac where I only know they exist because the icon in the Dock is bouncing. When I right click on SimpleFloatingClock to select options, nothing opens.

You might ask why I want SimpleFloatingClock when the task bar has a clock. Well, while Mavericks has a copy of the task bar on the 2nd monitor, that task bar turns black whenever I run a full-screen application on my iMac.

Jan 28, 2014 5:18 AM in response to Barney-15E

I didn't know I used spaces, but you're correct, I do have that checked. If I understand you correctly, I still want it checked, as I don't want full screen applications to be on both monitors.

When I run a full screen application, it fills up my iMac's screen. My other monitor shows my iTunes as before, but the task bar disappears so I can't read the time, and if my dock is there,it disappears as well.

Since I want to know the time, I run an application called SimpleFloatingClock. Before Mavericks, that application always started where I put it on the 2nd monitor. But with Mavericks, when I reboot, it starts off on my iMac's screen, and I have to move it. Also, under Mavericks, if I right click it and then click settings, nothing happens. I really wouldn't need that application (it would be nice though), if the task bar wouldn't dissappear when I run full screen applications.

Jan 28, 2014 5:30 AM in response to Howard Brazee

My second monitor Menu bar does not disappear. I don't know why yours does.

The Dock will switch between monitors. If you drag down on your second display to where the Dock should be, and keep dragging, it should move the Dock to that display.

As I described above, you should be able to set it to the display you want it on. However, the app may be too "simple" to follow the correct behavior.

Jan 28, 2014 6:15 AM in response to Barney-15E

Testing, it may be that the dock simply moves to the main monitor when I run a full screen application. The task bar gets all the way black except for a couple of white dots.

I'm trying to figure out how to create the other Desktop on the second Display. Looking at System Preferences/Mission Control, I see that I have F9 set up for Mission Control. Pressing F9 doesn't do anything noticable. So playing around, I finally tried the F3 key which I never use, and created a Desktop 3. I switched to it, instead of the Desktop 2 that has my iTunes. Then I ran a full-screen application.

I now figured out what those white dots are. They are stars from the background photo. The task bar didn't go black, it just went away, showing black sky (Earth is filling up most of the screen on the right and bottom).

Can I have 2nd monitor apps keep windows there?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.