Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple TV won't AirPlay my videos, only my pictures. What do I do?

My Apple TV won't airplay my videos. It shows my pictures fine.

Apple TV

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 12:01 PM

19 replies

Sep 4, 2017 4:04 PM in response to Janeenfromfl

Not may people posting what actually FIXED the issue for them. Maybe that is because it varies on individuals. But for me, turning off Bluetooth on the device (mine being a Macbook pro Seirra 10.12.6), rebooting it, and resetting the AppleTV seemed to do the trick (after 1/2 day of tinkering). So I can't say for sure it wasn't something I did before turning off the Bluetooth, but it is the last I recall before it started working again.

Oh, I have never installed thirdparty software that is blamed in earlier posts. My symptoms were I would get the connection, hear my audio on the TV, but the TV screen would be all black ~ no display.

Peace 🙂

Dec 25, 2013 12:08 PM in response to Janeenfromfl

Welcome to the Apple Community Janeen.

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)

2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).

3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).

4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.

5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)

6. Restart your mobile device.

Jul 19, 2014 1:48 PM in response to af77

Same for me. Apple TV has never been robust for me, many issues - network connection keeps often lost despite wifi speeds in excess of 40 MGS in the TV room. Airplay won't work. Videos won't load from "my computer".... When they load they reboot during the first few minutes of any movie a few times before it settles down. I rarely use Apple TV but tonight I did try to watch something on the bigger screen and cannot get it to work.

Jul 20, 2014 3:05 PM in response to vazandrew

You may be right. Bt I am not sure I am able to use those tools effectively. I have a very fast broadband service and when measuring speeds on my iPhone for example in the TV area, I regularly get 40 download and 15 upload - if that is not fast enough, then not sure for whom Apple TV is targeted. I know, the signal may cut out etc it is not all about speed. But I sort of hoped that Apple iMac to Apple TV over Apple's Airplay would provide the needed wifi management and buffering to make the customer experience as advertised. That is the point of buying all Apple devices. I know set top boxes won't work without direct contact to the broadband modem generally in the UK - for reasons that must be similar to the problem I am having, but that is why I bought a separate device for Apple streaming. Netflix works on Apple TV for me

Jul 23, 2014 12:38 AM in response to vazandrew

Did manage to speak to Apple Support. Yes it sounds like a signal robustness problem. First fix was to run Apple's network diagnostic tool which does apparently help calibrate devices to a wifi network(?). It did work well after that albeit for one night and have not tried it subsequently. Other advice was to move the Apple TV device away from my PVR - devices can interfere with each other and there is a bit of trial and error there. Next step if needed, have the device tested at an Apple Store as this has been know to happen.

I ran Apple's diagnostics and understand some of the output - not much I can do about it - for example one suggestion was to trace one particular wifi network and see if my neighbour will stop using it! And so forth. The gold standard is to use ehternet cable to my modem but that sort of defeats the reason I bought a wifi device in the first place. If my network at home is at fault, there is little I can do about it short term. that said I use BT home Hub 3 as my router and it is now offering 5th generation (Home Hub 5) which uses the AC protocol and is dual band which might help a lot.

I will monitor the situation, follow these steps.

Thanks for your kind advice

Apr 25, 2015 5:59 AM in response to Janeenfromfl

I have the same issue

its nothing to do with my network, I'm able to play YouTube videos through AirPlay just fine. I also play Netflix through my Apple TV

ive ve tried playing videos from my iPhone 6 and my iPad Air. They used to play just fine

i must assume this is an iOS software upgrade issue

please, please, please can someone from Applea tell me how to solve this

many thanks

stuart

My Apple TV won't AirPlay my videos, only my pictures. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.